Do 10 Gallon Long Tanks Exist?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by nicoless, Apr 21, 2018.

1. nicolessValued MemberMember

And if so, would a betta prefer the shallower water of a long tank?

2. NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

I don't know about a 10 long but my lfs has a 12 long. It's about 3 feet long. And only about 6 high and 6 deep. Not sure of actual dimensions but it's something close to that.

3. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

There are 12 gallon long tanks, and aquamaxx makes a rimless weird-sized 9.1 gallon tank, but I think the 10 gallon long is just a myth.

4. nicolessValued MemberMember

Cool, thank you! Sounds like either of those would be great for a betta and a few cherry shrimp.

5. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Not sure on the 10 long but a betta would appreciate the shallower tank since they have a labyrinth organ, which allows them to breathe air. That's why you see them at the surface now and then to get a gulp of air.

Also as a side note, 20 longs are fairly common - ( Petco has the 1.00 per gallon sale ) and you could pick one of those up and divide the tank 2 or 3 ways to fit more fish in there :)

6. PhotobelleValued MemberMember

I am getting a 20 long today to switch my 10g. What lids are best? I have 2 kids so I like the aqueon canopy lid with light that my kit came with. Should I get the same one for a 20 long or are there better lids, but without exposed lights kids can mess with?

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I have seen the portrait tanks that are around that gallonage.

8. Puck44Valued MemberMember

I would not put cherry shrimp with a Betta as the Betta would probably eat them:(.

9. NLindsey921Well Known MemberMember

I have cherry shrimp with my Betta and he ignores them.

10. nicolessValued MemberMember

Thank you Junne! I would love to have her happier in a shallower tank.

I will definitely watch for that sale. And see if I can rearrange my apartment to accommodate a 20 ;)

11. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I was actually just at my LFS yesterday, and they had an 11 gallon "long" setup for a pair of wild bettas.

It looked to be about the size of a 20 long, but was just a few inches tall. Very interesting tank, although I think I'd just go with the 20 long and have some plants near the surface for the betta to lay on.

12. nicolessValued MemberMember

Right on-- I've been wanting to get her some water lettuce and floating hyacinth, but my current setup is too small.

13. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

If you have any decor in the tank (driftwood, rocks, spongbob's house, etc.) you can get some anubias and attach it to the decor, so that the leaves are pretty close to the surface.

14. nicolessValued MemberMember

That sounds good-- she doesn't really like the plastic betta hammock, she seems to prefer live leaves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice