Help Dizzy From Research, Help For Sick Neons Please.

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20190912_162306.jpg
Hi, new member here, first post. What do I do now?? I had my first aquarium cycled, planted and stocked successfully for about 5 weeks. Then, my tank (60 g.) got ich from adding another glass catfish.
That fish died and spots on some glofish, but treatment successful.
But then I noticed white fuzz growing on one of my 15 neons. Was told probably fungus so I used pimafix about a week, no change in Fuzzface. Tried melafix about a week and another neon got a Hitler mustache, and fin whitening on another.
I set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank and did erythromycin for 4 days...nope, tried furan2 for 8 doses and some fuzz fell off but I think it's also still growing! So, I tried 3 T. Salt in tank for 2 days. Today I did three 50% water changes over three hours to remove salt. I've ordered some kanaplex and metroplex. Can anyone tell me now what? Thanks

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In my 60 g. I did 25% once a week. My quarantine tank was changed as per medication instructions. (The 25% after each two days of dosing ).

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When the pimafix didn't work, I assumed the problem was not fungus but bacterial and that's when I started trying antibiotics. Maybe the pimafix just wasn't strong enough? I could try methelyene blue.
Can you make out on my pic if it looks more like a fungus than columnaris?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want to do just a little more research you may want to read this thread on using potassium permanganate.

It is written by one of our very successful Ram breeders. If I am remembering correctly he even got rid of an outbreak of columnaris with it.

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The problem might be Neon Tetra disease. Really no cure for it. The fungus is likely a secondary infection.
Acts normal tho. And color is good.

If you want to do just a little more research you may want to read this thread on using potassium permanganate.

It is written by one of our very successful Ram breeders. If I am remembering correctly he even got rid of an outbreak of columnaris with it.
A few months ago I read about this and could not find in big box stores, pool supply, pet supply and didn't want to do online from China. I used the eBay link you gave tho and just bought some. I'll definitely get my hubby to do the math tho. I've already OD'ed my fish with stupid math skills. Fortunately, it was only melafix, but POND melafix ! Quick water changes and all was well.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few months ago I read about this and could not find in big box stores, pool supply, pet supply and didn't want to do online from China. I used the eBay link you gave tho and just bought some. I'll definitely get my hubby to do the math tho. I've already OD'ed my fish with stupid math skills. Fortunately, it was only melafix, but POND melafix ! Quick water changes and all was well.
I just bought the little 28gram bottle of it. I poured all of it into a 500ml amber glass bottle with 400mls distilled water in it. The only thing I had to measure was the 400mls of DW. Made it very simple for me.

I am getting more comfortable with using this product. In fact I added 6 drops of the mixture to my 5.5 gallon tank before doing the water change this morning. I feel like the one drop per gallon is a safe dose for just general maintenance. I won't be doing it weekly but feel like once a month will help keep my tanks healthy. I was concerned about it killing the bacteria on my sponge filter but since it is a dual sponge filter I just replace one of them with a well seeded sponge from one of my other tanks so I am not concerned about losing my cycle.

I plan on doing the same for my 55 gallon tank tomorrow. I am nervous about it but reading and re-reading @coralbandit 's thread has given me the confidence to do it safely. I will turn off my filters though and just run airstones during the treatment period.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome . Sorry you got sick fish and I have little good news .
For any treatment to work any clearly infected fish should be euthanized first .
I would not be expecting ;
A fish as sick as the one whose mouth is infected to heal / recoup .
Or for other fish to be safe from infection with the clearly infected fish present in the tank with them .
To be certain you get that infection out of your tank any fish with symptoms should be removed [euthanized] .
It is documented in many cases that fish 'recovering' from bacterial infection can often become sub clinical carriers of the disease infecting any other fish around them ..
You should still treat the tank as the disease is as active as ever AFTER you remove the sickest fish .This is the only way to get past the infection and offer future fish a chance ..
Most articles on columnaris say 32 day life cycle with no host [that is 32 days in just water, no fish] but the catfish industry now considers it an annual issue meaning it is gaining strength and life expectancy ..
Again sorry ..

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sure isnt good news but I have a hope still it is not columnaris but fungal as some have suggested. I know Fuzzface got advanced before I caught on to it but maybe if I treat with the methylene blue and it works that will tell me it wasn't bacterial? They have been in a hospital tank for almost 3 weeks and all fish in my main aquarium are still fine. Fingers crossed!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sure isnt good news but I have a hope still it is not columnaris but fungal as some have suggested. I know Fuzzface got advanced before I caught on to it but maybe if I treat with the methylene blue and it works that will tell me it wasn't bacterial? They have been in a hospital tank for almost 3 weeks and all fish in my main aquarium are still fine. Fingers crossed!
I have mine crossed for you too

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Removing the carbon is recommended because it will remove the medication. Some medications will kill the bacteria and in those cases it might be best to remove your bio-media. I don't know whether MB will do that.

Since this is a hospital tank it might have been better not to take a chance and gone ahead and removed the bio-media but if you didn't it will be too late to do so now. Let's hope MB doesn't kill bacteria.

Just running an airstone should be sufficient for the few days the fish are going to be in the hospital tank.

All of this is a learning experience. You will have this information should you face this same situation in the future.

Kcakes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Removing the carbon is recommended because it will remove the medication. Some medications will kill the bacteria and in those cases it might be best to remove your bio-media. I don't know whether MB will do that.

Since this is a hospital tank it might have been better not to take a chance and gone ahead and removed the bio-media but if you didn't it will be too late to do so now. Let's hope MB doesn't kill bacteria.

Just running an airstone should be sufficient for the few days the fish are going to be in the hospital tank.

All of this is a learning experience. You will have this information should you face this same situation in the future.
But for the length of the med treatments I've tried, they needed about 2 weeks so then I could use something cheap like floss and throw away? I check the tank for parameters.
I'll want to keep them in hospital for a while. I'm afraid to add any of them in main tank yet.
Are the ceramic rings I used for hospital unsafe for future use?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But for the length of the med treatments I've tried, they needed about 2 weeks so then I could use something cheap like floss and throw away? I check the tank for parameters.
I'll want to keep them in hospital for a while. I'm afraid to add any of them in main tank yet.
Are the ceramic rings I used for hospital unsafe for future use?
I have never had to treat for any of the many diseases fish can get so I'm not the best at giving any kind of suggestions when it comes to these kinds of things.

I would think though if the medication you are using heals the fish then the ceramic media should still be usable. If in doubt you could boil it before adding it to another tank. Cleaning it this way should remove any kind if disease but of course will also remove all the BB.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom