DIY water pump How Do I 

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am planning to have a bigger aquarium in the next few weeks.
and I love to create things that will help me save money and at the same time learn.
is there somebody who can help me or give me tips oh how to make a water pump. (fountain pump)
I would like to create one instead of buying..
ill just have to create a filter canister to catch the water from the pump then filter it before letting it drip back to the aquarium.
THANKS! x

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Umm, when it comes to mixing water and electricity, my advice would be to buy a pump designed and tested to work in aquatic environments. The price of a water pump is nothing compared to a short circuit that results in a house fire

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about these types of things

As for the filter, there are plenty of DIY solutions on fishlore, just have a search.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ryanr said:
Umm, when it comes to mixing water and electricity, my advice would be to buy a pump designed and tested to work in aquatic environments. The price of a water pump is nothing compared to a short circuit that results in a house fire

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about these types of things

As for the filter, there are plenty of DIY solutions on fishlore, just have a search.

Thanks!! I think you're right... I tried to create a water pump using the centrifugal theory. using a 1.5V dc motor attached to a shaft then to the pump.. it didn't worked well. the water is too heavy for the motor to make fast RPM. so there is not much pressure to push the water up.
lol...

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Electricity + Water + You doing DIY = You going bzzzzzz and going to hospital, and doint forget the sparkie having to come and fix your electricity...

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I changed my mind.. I'll work hard to earn and buy a water pump. lol. I can pay for my insurance too.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bzzzt. Health insurence. bzzzt

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kaboom! roasted barbs.

Venocide

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there, I made a canister filter using an actual aquarium pump and a whole house filter. Pump is rated for 800 gph, $30, and a whole house filter, $20. Went to lowes and bought some clear tubing & fittings. Works great!

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Venocide said:
Hey there, I made a canister filter using an actual aquarium pump and a whole house filter. Pump is rated for 800 gph, $30, and a whole house filter, $20. Went to lowes and bought some clear tubing & fittings. Works great!
the actual aquarium pump is the one I was planning to make. lol, anyway I stopped already cause its dangerous DIY submersible pump.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Kel,

I'm glad that you've decided to purchase the pump instead of trying to create one. We'd all hate for something to happen to you!

Hopefully you can find one soon that is within your budget. Keep us posted.

Ken

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks ken!
I bought a submersible pump and attached it to my DIY overhead filter that looks funny!
ill attach a photo sometime and I hope you guys would share some opinions or laughter.
thanks for all the concern!
God Bless to all!

mike

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads