DIY tank hoods

Mathew Baker
I'm looking for any tips on making a new hood for my fish tank . It's a 35 gallon diamond shaped corner tank. I plan to make it out of plexiglass. It's going to be planted with only a few small fish. So I don't need a place for a filter . All I'll need is a small hole for air and Co2 lines and heater cord. I'm also thinking that I can use the odd corner I cut off of the square sheet of Plexiglas,to make it diamond shaped, to make a hinged cover for the feeding hole .

Jake98
That sounds like a good plan, cutting plexiglass is a relatively easy process and there are several methods that work well. You said it will be planted, what lights will use? I ask this because acrylic(plexiglass) can be warped and discolored if under too strong of lights. Metal Halides are especially hard on acrylic sheets.

On the tank its self will your air and c02 lines provide adequate water circulation for a 36 gallon tank? Without the water movement of a filter it may be worth while to look into a small powerhead.

atc84
Are you following the walstad method? for a 35 gallon tank in a low tech aquarium it is highly beneficial to have a small powerhead to circulate water to spread out nutrients. Since you're using co2 I'm assuming you're not doing low tech, which gives an even greater reason to have water movement.

_Fried_Bettas_
Low water movement will cause problems circulating water, CO2, and stagnant water frequently results in algae. But if you have a couple sponge filters with a strong air pump you would probably be fine, or a powerhead.

Mathew Baker
Never thought about powerhead.that's a good idea . I'm going to be using 2 - 18" fluorescent lights.

Mathew Baker
If I have a power head do I even need bubbles?

_Fried_Bettas_
powerhead pretty much takes care of the aeration.

Mathew Baker
In fact the air pump that came with the tank is excellent. No worries on water circulation.

Thank you all for your prompt responses btw feel free to friends me if that's helpful

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Corleggy
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views