DIY sump

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Lyfeoffishing, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Lyfeoffishing

LyfeoffishingWell Known MemberMember

Okay so I m thinking about making a sump for my 55 gallon planted tank and I have come up with a design I think should work. It will be a 20L as the sump under the tank.

Comp 1: intake
    Comp 2: filter pads/sponges/bio rings
    Comp 3: I don't know what to put here.
    Comp 4: refugium around 5G (wisteria, water lettuce, some moss, shrimp)
    Comp 5: 2 150w heaters
    Comp 6: return pump

I was going to leave out comp 3 but I believe it is advise able to keep an over/under/over system (I could be wrong). Could I place bio rings/ pot scrubbers in comp 3 and force water up them?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Oops making post now

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would probably move the heaters to any of the first 4 compartments since they have constant water levels.

The water level in the return section will vary with evap and if for some reason water was prevented from returning to the sump it could pump that compartment dry.

3. JJSLMNew MemberMember

Your refugium wont have much water flow in the middle. Either remove the baffle between chamber 3 & 4, or make the baffle 2 pieces (meaning a 1/2" gap) somewhere in the middle of the baffle to allow some water flow in the middle of the refugium. The latter is a preferred method in the sw world.

And move the heaters closer to the intake tract

4. OP
    OP
    Lyfeoffishing

LyfeoffishingWell Known MemberMember

Sorry its not really clear but the second baffle of the refugium will be lower. Helping aid in flow I believe.

Oh haven't thought of that good point I will try and have them in the refugium or the section before it.

5. JJSLMNew MemberMember

just as a thought. why go with such a small sump? a 55g is 48" long. You can easily squeeze in a 40 breeder & have a HUGE sump. The bigger the better. My 72 bow reef had a overhead 20 long refugium & a 40 breeder sump. Granted thats SW, but just an idea for you to think about

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice