Diy Sump Return Help.

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Built sump for 75 gallon planted community tank. I've built the weir and overflow out of pvc already. Shooting for around 550gph cycle. Any ideas for return plumbing. The Two return pumps are 550gph each and have 3 size adapters for tubing. Has to go 5ft vertical. Tank is not drilled. Would like to build on the cheap. Thanks for any input.

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KaptainStache said:
Built sump for 75 gallon planted community tank. I've built the weir and overflow out of pvc already. Shooting for around 550gph cycle. Any ideas for return plumbing. The Two return pumps are 550gph each and have 3 size adapters for tubing. Has to go 5ft vertical. Tank is not drilled. Would like to build on the cheap. Thanks for any input.
What does your hood look like?

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KaptainStache said:
None. SemI fitting glass.
Ok. You can do a pvc elbow return. It will hang on the lip and you can extens a pvc spraybar in either direction. I recommend 3/4" pvc

OP
K

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NavyChief20 said:
Ok. You can do a pvc elbow return. It will hang on the lip and you can extens a pvc spraybar in either direction. I recommend 3/4" pvc
I think that's the way I'm going to go. Went to lowes and got fittings. Going 3/4" tube up to 1/2, pvc "U" over and a 90° elbow heated and squished for water movement. Thanks

OP
K

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NavyChief20 said:
Came out great. Just have to find a good way to quiet the overflow.
0527192242a.jpg
0527192242b.jpg

New Threads