DIY stand

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Only done the structural aspect of it for now. I want to keep it cheap and show that there is no need for a center support on a 2x4 frame.

Will get photos up with the tank on it soon.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406766145.349554.jpg

Only thing I used was a power screwdriver, some 2" screws, and 4 2x4x10 lumber. The cuts were done by lowes and everything has a 1/16" tolerance. Not perfect but it wasn't much fun playing supervisor to a min wage employee. Didn't feel like cutting it myself at home either. After tax 25$ covered everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

Looks good. What size tank is it for? I just finished one about a month ago for my 75 g and I'm very happy with it and feel much better than the particle board one from the big box store it was sitting on.

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

4. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

That will work nicely. I used birch but only because it was what Home Depot had on hand. I also put various trim around it to finish it off. I used the stain polyurethane mix that went on thicker and darker than expected. By the end the wrap and trim was twice the cost of the 2x4 frame.

[​IMG]

5. Archie1208 Member Member

Looks good

6. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Its at a bit of a stand still. IDK if I will be using some type of glue to hold the wrap/trim on or what. So if I go the old nail way it wouldn't make sense to put the tank on it yet. Also the transition is gonna have to be fairly quick as the fish will be in a 20g tote during the move.

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

delta5, be careful when Lowes or HD cuts the thin ply wood, their blades are made for rough cuts and will splinter and chip everywhere along the cuts and remove the top layer of oak from the plywood. I ended up going with Birch as it was cheaper in my area.

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the tip. I plan on using cedar boards along the top, bottom, and corners so those cuts on the plywood won't be visible. Cut the door holes out myself.

I'm also thinking about using this instead; http://www.lowes.com/pd_9352-67788-...=?Ns=p_product_price|0&page=1&facetInfo=1 x 4

Put them vertical and use some as trim along the bottom and top.

9. frampy Well Known Member Member

I have a halfway finished stand I am going to make a double for a 75 and a 20 long. Still trying to work it out in my head. The guy who started it didn't do a very good job so I think I might have to take it apart and start over.

Attached Files:

10. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I still have trim that will go around the top to hide uneven cuts (didn't feel like using my clamps or clearing off my bench saw). The top trim will be applied after I trim the two doors some more and get glue. Don't want nails visible along top. Actually all the exterior panels are screwed in from the back :)

In the photo if you look across the bottom you'll see where both sides has 3 boards that don't touch the ground. Those are the doors. I plan on adding hinges and handles after the tank is setup and doesn't fall apart lol. Ironically after some hinges and handles the grand total will be around 55 dollars.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407202365.319267.jpg

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Tank is up and shined on one corner. Still got to trim the top of the tank and cut the doors a little more.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407280525.963804.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407280556.471991.jpg

I'm still debating on if I want to paint the back of the tank glass I'll. consider this a success if it doesn't fall apart or crack lol.

12. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

That looks nice!

The only thing about painting is my 4 year old managed to get a very noticeable scratch across the front of my tank. He was playing with the magnetic glass cleaner and got a sharp piece of sand stuck in there. It made a horrible noise before I realized what was going on. Since my back wasn't painted I was able to turn it around so the scratch was in the back. That was before it was planted but still I'm I was able to do it.

13. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Thank you. I used a leveler app on my iphone and the tank is at most 1.8 degrees off. Pretty much off by what it was on our coffee table. When I get a bigger tank i'll do it the right way and make the cuts myself and use a tablesaw.