DIY Stand: Uneven floor + Cinder Blocks 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by escapay, Jan 3, 2013.

1. escapayWell Known MemberMember

I'm thinking of DIY for making my own aquarium stand due to design of Ameriwood stand I purchased and attempted to put together (it wobbles because of the bottom support being improperly sized and I cannot get the top part fully connected - tried to fix that, but I cannot get the top piece off to fix what I think needs to be adjusted). I thought about 2x4s, but I'm lazy, though if I do measurements and plan it out - maybe I would actually get that done.

This stand will be for a 29 gallon aquarium, though the particular space is available for a 48" L x 22" W tank. I really liked the 33 gallon long at my LFS, but that would involve me upgrading more than I should pay for. I would rather just get the tank up and running so I can move my Kuhlis to a more appropriate home.

My questions-

1. If I put some wood (like plywood?) underneath the cinder blocks, will that protect my laminate floor? Will I be able to put shims like I did with my 10 & 36 gallon aquariums (floor is uneven)?

2. If I am doing this for my 30" 29 gallon, should I have 4 or 6 cinder blocks total? Or does that just depend on how high I want the tank?

3. If I choose to buy the 33 gallon long (so a 48" tank), should I have three rows of cinder blocks like I've seen on the 55 gallons?

2. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

2 rows of blocks would be fine. My 125 is on 2 rows of blocks and is just fine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice