DIY Stand - needing help

escapay

I'm going to make an aquarium stand to fit a Mr Aqua 12 gallon long rimless on. Dimensions of tank are 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4".

I plan on using 2x4s and plywood for the top.

Some questions
1. Would it be better to use 2x2s since the aquarium won't really weigh too much compared to a larger aquarium?

2. Do I just use screws to attach the 2x4s? One site only had brackets and wood screws. Do I need brackets?

3. Being a 3' tank, I plan on having two sides plus a center brace for the stand. What is the best design for the top and bottom, 1 or 2, or something different?:

The shaded parts are the shorter pieces (can have them either center shorter but ends longer, or all same size).

4. Being a rimless tank, what is best to add underneath? Styrofoam or is there something better?

Teishokue

Keep it with 2x4 for less worries. #1 would be more sturdy. #2 would be more aesthetically pleasing, unless you're painting it. I suggest styrofoam

escapay

At this point I don't think I will be painting it. But always good to know for the future, especially if I decide to make a stand for a heavier aquarium.

Aquarist

Good morning,

See if there is information in the links below that may help you:

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
90 Gallon Tank Cinderblock stand?
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views