Help DIY Stand for 40L or 55

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anyone have any basic stand designs / plans I could use to build a stand for a 40 Long or 55 Gallon stand? (I believe those are the same dimensions for the footprint) I will probably build it with 2x4's. Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. I can always add some paneling later.

Joe

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know how to design one but I do know if you go to petco or pet supermarket they have the snds for about $100. I got mine for $80.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thought I'd try my hand at building one. Would be a good experience (plus my father has all the wood cutting equipment so it might be a good father/son project). That and I believe I can get all the materials way cheaper than that.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its easy! Simple building. And you are right, 2x4s are what....$3-4 each for 8ft boards?

Heres a couple i've made in the past...both computer designs and pictures of them. Might give you some ideas as to design. Check out this thread, has some good ideas: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/77600-simple-tank-stand.html You'll notice a lot of mine below rely on screws to hold the weight, i'd recommend not doing this as using the wood to support the weight is a better idea...but it can work as seen by my work. The thread I linked talks about that a little too. Let me know if you have any questions....not a pro or a handyman, but i've built my fair share.
465.jpg

643.jpg

40 breeder top, 30L bottom
238.jpg

Random one, same design concept as the one above with the 40gal and 30gal on it but different dimensions.
467.jpg

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Slug! I just called my dad and he seems pretty interested in building something with me! He told me to sketch something up (sounded like he was sketching while I was talking to him) and he figures we can do put something together in a few hours. I'll print out your stuff too to see if we can get some ideas together.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, single legs can work too if you want, especially on a hard floor. As you can see I have carpet and don't trust single legs with the carpet. Thats why I always build a bottom to my stands. Plus its handy to store stuff, like fish boxes and buckets.

And in this picture for example, when I say use the wood to hold the weight it means you would put wood between the bottom horizontal board and the top horizontal board, alongside the current vertical leg that is there. So the top is resting directly on a board and that board is resting directly on another board. If that makes sense. The only thing the legs you see in the picture would be doing is to attach the bottom frame to the top frame to provide a sturdy structure, not support weight. Should also make it easy to skin later if you want giving you a flush surface.
466.jpg

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom