Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Diy Stand Finishing Touched Advice.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Wickette, Apr 19, 2019.

1. WicketteValued MemberMember

Finishing up my DIY 2x4 75gallon stand. Its panneled with plywood.

1) do I coat the the 2x4 frame with wood finish, then add plywood and coat again, or do assemble the whole thing first then just coat the exposed surfaces?

2)if I should should waterproof before and after adding the panels, any tips on something cheaper and easier than finish. those surfaces are hidden so it doesnt need to look good.

3) If I want to make moulding/trim instead of buying it. Any ideas on what I should use? tried cutting 1/2 strips of 2x4 but it was a disaster (would a black finish cover the layer edges of plywood, if so thats perfect)

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

1. Either or. Doing the frame too will help water proof it but unless you expect to have a really slow leak and let it go its not needed.
    2. The stain with polyurethane is what I used for my tub surround. Its pretty easy to use and you don't rub it off like just stain.
    3. Moulding is cheap. I can't imagine doing any better yourself with the wood working tools to make your own.

3. WicketteValued MemberMember

Im using the poly stain as the outter coating but it is messy and takes a long time to dry

My hesitance on the moulding isnt the price, the hood and stand are all hand made, feels like a shame to buy pre-fabricated molding. It never occurred to me that home depot/lowes doesnt sell non-plywood 1/2" boards as that was the plan.

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

5. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I would say paint only the exposed wood. :)

6. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember