DIY sponge filter

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I set up a 2 gallon breeding tank for my swordtails when i noticed one was pregnant. I can't find small filter and i heard you can build a sponge filter by yourself. so if you know how i just need to know. x :;hurryb

penance

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can find a small size sponge filter for cheap

Look at your lfs or on ebay Hopefully your swordtail doesn't pop until you get your filter

good luck

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thx for the idea

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i can buy a bag of fine filter floss from my lfs, i use it as fine filtering, but sure it would work alone

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just made four large sponge filters (as in I just finished them tonight). One advantage of a DIY sponge filter is that you can alter it to create a current in your tank. I'm amazed at the amount of flow that these things can create.

First of all, buy a piece of sponge filter media. It's got to be a decent size, at least a couple of inches on a side.

Second, a length of PVC. 10' of PVC costs something like $1.50 or less, and will carry you through a ton of projects.

Third, to create current, an elbow joint for the PVC is needed.

Fourth, air line, an airstone, and an air pump.

Cut the PVC so that, with the elbow joint attached, it will be just under the glass top of the aquarium if it stands from top to bottom. Use a drill to put a bunch of holes in the PVC at one end, a bit less than the length of the sponge. In other words, if the sponge is 2" on a side, perforate 1 3/4" of one end of the pipe. Be sure to use a bit that starts with a narrow point, or clamp the PVC to a drill press. Otherwise, the bit will slide off of the pipe.
Take a drill bit sized for the airline tubing (sorry, I can't remember what size it is), and drill a hole into the top of the elbow joint (the bit will be facing down the length of the PVC pipe). Thread the air line through this hole, out the other end of the pipe, and attach the airstone. Pull the airline back a little bit until the airstone a little way up the pipe.
Cut a tiny bit of PVC (a couple of inches) and plug into the open end of the elbow. This will be the outflow.
Take a long knife (I used a butcher knife) and cut a slit all the way through the sponge media.
Fit the PVC down into the media, put the filter in the aquarium, attach the air line to the pump, and plug the pump in.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is that diy instruction list stickied somewhere because I'm definitely going to use it. Idk why but I've had a lot of trouble finding a cheap basic sponge filter, and I need several.

if you have a hob filter you can just put a sponge or floss over the intake. I've also just taken and wrapped floss around a long airstone and that worked, although there wasn't much suction.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's a thread with some pictures and info on making a sponge filter, there may be a few more that you can find using the forum search tool. Hopefully this is a little helpful:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jetajockey said:
Is that diy instruction list stickied somewhere because I'm definitely going to use it. Idk why but I've had a lot of trouble finding a cheap basic sponge filter, and I need several.
It is not. I made it based on filters made with Poret foam (they have examples on their website). Sorry.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I should make one of these, just for the sake of it,

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads