Diy Sponge Filter?

1. r

ravenwing New Member Member

I have a 3 gallon tank am looking for effective/easy-ish ways to make a sponge filter. My 3 gal was a betta and two ghost shrimp so I'm looking for ideas that would be delicate enough not to hinder them.

2. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

The easiest way would be a big chunk of sponge, a plastic tube shoved deep into the sponge, an air stone in the tube, and an air pump to make the stone work- you can see pictures of them online. They aren't rocket science. The bubbles lift water and pull more water through the sponge. Unless you've got this stuff lying around it would probably just be cheaper to buy one, though. They aren't expensive.

3. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Agree, I would buy the first filter and see how they function.

4. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Sponge Filters are very inexpensive I would't monkey around with it, I'd just buy one.

5. J

Jeepn4x4 New Member Member

6. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

Any suggestions on a cheap effective sponge filter...brand,link,? Thinking of adding one to my 55 and possibly 20l...thanks

7. Lcarr727

Lcarr727 Valued Member Member

I just made one last night, YouTube has lots of videos on how to make them, LifeWithPets has a good one and I think Rachel O'Leary has a video too and there are some others that are good too. I had all the stuff on hand so I thought, why not for my platy fry tank. Looks a lot bigger then it is due to the magnification from the bowl. Seems to be working well, water was nice and clear this morning

Attached Files: