Diy Soil Sifter?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Aquarista, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Aquarista

AquaristaNew MemberMember

I am looking specifically for a method to sift the planting soil...in my case im using organic black earth that i will sift and then cook to sterilize. Looking for an efficient DIY sifting method?

thanks yall

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

For my Walstad bowl I sifted my potting mix using an old window screen over a bucket. 8 pounds of mix yielded a little over 2 pounds of super-fine soil. Your mileage may vary depending on the brand of soil used (I did not have access to the organic Miracle-Gro and had to use a different organic soil).

For your soil layer, make it between 1 and 1.5 inches deep... keep in mind 1.5 inches is pushing it a bit. The deeper your soil layer, the greater the likelihood of anaerobic conditions forming... really bad news for the tank. On top of the soil layer, put a cap 1.5 inches deep. The best cap is a substrate that is 2-4mm in diameter and relatively uniform. This enables adequate water flow and nutrient exchange without compressing over time like a finer substrate might, which can kill plants' roots.

Do not cap soil with aquasoils or other plant substrates such as Eco-Complete. This will load the tank with excess nutrients and cause tons of water quality issues.

I cannot stress enough to plant heavily. Even with filtration, soil is very rich in decaying organic compounds and nutrients, and without a very high plantload, you will experience algae and high levels of ammonia. Let a soil-bottom tank mature for a month or two, then test it to see if it is ready for livestock.

3. OP
    OP
    Aquarista

AquaristaNew MemberMember

than you very much for the advice Fahn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice