Diy Soil Sifter?

Aquarista

Reaction score
I am looking specifically for a method to sift the planting soil...in my case im using organic black earth that i will sift and then cook to sterilize. Looking for an efficient DIY sifting method?

thanks yall

Last edited by a moderator:

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well if I can keep this topic alive: I am looking specifically for a method to sift the planting soil...in my case im using organic black earth that i will sift and then cook to sterilize. Looking for an efficient DIY sifting method?

thanks yall
For my Walstad bowl I sifted my potting mix using an old window screen over a bucket. 8 pounds of mix yielded a little over 2 pounds of super-fine soil. Your mileage may vary depending on the brand of soil used (I did not have access to the organic Miracle-Gro and had to use a different organic soil).

For your soil layer, make it between 1 and 1.5 inches deep... keep in mind 1.5 inches is pushing it a bit. The deeper your soil layer, the greater the likelihood of anaerobic conditions forming... really bad news for the tank. On top of the soil layer, put a cap 1.5 inches deep. The best cap is a substrate that is 2-4mm in diameter and relatively uniform. This enables adequate water flow and nutrient exchange without compressing over time like a finer substrate might, which can kill plants' roots.

Do not cap soil with aquasoils or other plant substrates such as Eco-Complete. This will load the tank with excess nutrients and cause tons of water quality issues.

I cannot stress enough to plant heavily. Even with filtration, soil is very rich in decaying organic compounds and nutrients, and without a very high plantload, you will experience algae and high levels of ammonia. Let a soil-bottom tank mature for a month or two, then test it to see if it is ready for livestock.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom