DIY small canister filter troubleshooting Question

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by rattyhatty, Apr 9, 2010.

1. rattyhatty

rattyhattyNew MemberMember

Hi. I've built a small canister filter that I want to use on a 10 gallon tank, and it works like a charm, no leaking at all when running. The only problem is the intake syphon continues when the power is out (i've been simulating powerouts to see what happens) so the seals start to leak because the water is not leaving through the pump. It just drips and steadily gets worse.

Does anyone have any experience with DIY canister filters? Is there any solution to this problem or will I just need to use a container with an even stronger seal? Lock and Lock containers look to be the best container and stongest sealing, but they are $13+ each. The container I used was $5.
    I was thinking I would experiment with overflow boxes like sump intakes so I can at least minamize water leaks, but anyother suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul.

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I think you will need to either go with a better sealing main body or change the pump arrangement so that you can have the filter above the water line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice