DIY Shrimp Food

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just wondering if any members have a DIY Shrimp food recipe they used that they'd like to share. I have around ~10 or so RCS in a 10 Gallon with some Neons, and I haven't been feeding them specifically as there is lots of algae to graze on in the tank, but it is not going to last forever. If its not a DIY Recipe, just let me know what your shrimp like to eat!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Veggies are good like spinach and kale. Look up some of richie.p threads on feeding shrimp he is the shrimp guru around here and has a ton of useful info on all aspects of keeping shrimp. I know others are very helpful with shrimp but can't think of their names sorry anyone I can't remember :)

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just gave my shrimpers their own piece of a boiled. So far no takers but the neons like it! haha

how long should I leave the egg in there if they don't get interested?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A few here then try again in a few days but dont feed inbetween and that goes for all food

yeti79

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My shrimp love green beans, cucumber and broccoli

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The egg white yesterday didn't get many takers, and I gave them a spinach leaf today which I haven't seen any even touch. But the shrimp seem happy, coloring up nicely. They just continually graze around the tank on moss, algae, and lots of them spend time on the driftwood in the tank, so I guess they are gnawing away at it. Should I be worried about them finding the food I give them? or just keep on giving it to them as a supplement to the algae in the tank. Also, I found free-floating green algae, in a pond I was bass fishing in, which is currently in a outdoor plant growing/quarantine tank - after a few days should I give some to the shrimp to see if they'll eat it?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
let them work on the stuff in your tanks. I wouldn't add anything from a pond it could introduce parasites and even dragon/damselflys which could wipe out your colony

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kallililly1973 said:
let them work on the stuff in your tanks. I wouldn't add anything from a pond it could introduce parasites and even dragon/damselflys which could wipe out your colony
Ok thanks, hopefully by the time they are done with most of it all this virus stuff will be done and I can get them algae wafers ! Lol

OniEG

Reaction score
Green beans!!! Also to provide protein I give them crushed bloods worms. Really no need to spend the extra money on making them food. Spend it on more plants.

New Threads