DIY Root Tabs

1. Zackary Initiate Member

Hey does anyone have any experience making these I've done some research and plan on using Miricalgro slow release fertilizer.

My questions:
    Is it safe to put Miricalgro slow release fertilizer in tanks?
    Are there any better brands of slow release fertilizer?
    How much do i pit in?
    Do i need to get gelatin capsules i heard you could freeze them if you dont have these gelatin capsules?
    In stead of buying these capsules could i just stick them under the sand?
    How long will the fertilizer last?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure about the product you're using. I use Oscmote frozen in water buried under the sand. People do use Oscmote in gell tabs. I don't like the way they float up.

3. Zackary Initiate Member

Which one do you guys use? Theres an indoor/outdoor one also flower/vegetable one.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I've read where a lot of people use Osomocote tabs as well. Not sure which type of Osmocote thought. Personally I like Seachem products and they make good root tabs. For a under $10 you get 10 large root tabs that will last a few months. They slowly dissolve and work well, being designed specifically for aquatic plants. You could save a little money and make your own, but $10 over the course of a 3-5 months (depending on size of your tank and amount needed) isn't that much for me to spend and know that I'm using a good and safe product designed for my aquarium.

On another note, here is a link that explains some other natural root tabs that really sparked my interest.

http://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/2013/06/11/diy-natural-fertilizer-clay-balls-aquarium-plants-infographic/

I haven't tried them but it sounds like they would work well, and they are all natural. Sort of an organic approach. That website, allnaturalpetcare.com sells the 2 ingredients for relatively cheap if you think about how much you can make with it. Would be $30-40 for a large supply maybe 1-2 years worth.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I use Osmocote Plus, The "plus" is micronutrients, the other formulas only have macros. I put them in gel caps, I'm not sure why floating up would be bad, they obviously not properly inserted into the substrate if they do. Some of the tanks I use them in are sand only, so I certainly need the micros, at least in those tanks. You can buy 8 lbs of Osmocote for the same prices as a small number of Seachem tabs, that is the motivating reason. I have had a lot of success with them. They are supposed to be slow release over 3-4 months.

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member