DIY Root Tabs

1. Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey does anyone have any experience making these I've done some research and plan on using Miricalgro slow release fertilizer.

My questions:
    Is it safe to put Miricalgro slow release fertilizer in tanks?
    Are there any better brands of slow release fertilizer?
    How much do i pit in?
    Do i need to get gelatin capsules i heard you could freeze them if you dont have these gelatin capsules?
    In stead of buying these capsules could i just stick them under the sand?
    How long will the fertilizer last?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +641
    I'm not sure about the product you're using. I use Oscmote frozen in water buried under the sand. People do use Oscmote in gell tabs. I don't like the way they float up.

3. OP
    OP
    Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which one do you guys use? Theres an indoor/outdoor one also flower/vegetable one.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +258
    I've read where a lot of people use Osomocote tabs as well. Not sure which type of Osmocote thought. Personally I like Seachem products and they make good root tabs. For a under $10 you get 10 large root tabs that will last a few months. They slowly dissolve and work well, being designed specifically for aquatic plants. You could save a little money and make your own, but $10 over the course of a 3-5 months (depending on size of your tank and amount needed) isn't that much for me to spend and know that I'm using a good and safe product designed for my aquarium.

On another note, here is a link that explains some other natural root tabs that really sparked my interest.

http://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/2013/06/11/diy-natural-fertilizer-clay-balls-aquarium-plants-infographic/

I haven't tried them but it sounds like they would work well, and they are all natural. Sort of an organic approach. That website, allnaturalpetcare.com sells the 2 ingredients for relatively cheap if you think about how much you can make with it. Would be $30-40 for a large supply maybe 1-2 years worth.

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I use Osmocote Plus, The "plus" is micronutrients, the other formulas only have macros. I put them in gel caps, I'm not sure why floating up would be bad, they obviously not properly inserted into the substrate if they do. Some of the tanks I use them in are sand only, so I certainly need the micros, at least in those tanks. You can buy 8 lbs of Osmocote for the same prices as a small number of Seachem tabs, that is the motivating reason. I have had a lot of success with them. They are supposed to be slow release over 3-4 months.

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +641