Diy Root Tabs - How Often To Add Them? Help

1. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I use osmocote plus as a diy root tab. It seems to be working just fine. My question though is how often should I add more?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

You can redose every 2-3 months generally, or as needed (ie: if you have a really big sword plant, they might need to be dosed every month or two)

3. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

Ok. Cause it's been about a month and was starting to question. No really big swords yet. Just medium sized Vesuvius swords and some baby Amazon's. Then a few stems.

4. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

DIY Osmocote+ vs. Flourish tabs, no comparison: Flourish hands down. I used to use DIY Osmocote+ tabs and they just seemed to make my plants "hang on" and not really grow. The Flourish tabs on the otherhand, WOW! And this coming from a guy who has had issues with Seachems liquid line and refuses to use it.

5. OP
    OP
    NLindsey921

Well the Vesuvius swords are growing and throwing runners like crazy. I started out with one and now I have about 10. I think the Amazon's just aren't getting enough light. They are behind some stems.

6. DuaneV

The only thing Ive had grow well with Osmocote+ tabs are hygrophila corymbosa, but they were in a tank with T5 lights and a big bioload. My Amazon swords LOVE the Flourish tabs. Id been feeding them DIY tabs for years with no growth or runners at all. 4 months in a tank with Flourish tabs and Im getting runners with 4-6 plants per constantly.

Maybe the DIY tabs just arent as strong and you can use a lot more, a lot more often. I havent done any "scientific" studies.

7. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I've used both Flourish and DIY Osmocote Plus tabs and both work well but are different. Flourish doesn't last long, maybe a month but it works really well in that month. Osmocote is time released so you need to use a lot more (3-4 per 1 Flourish tab) for heavy root feeders like swords but they last 3-6 months. Some say up to a year. Osmocote Plus has better nutrients (macros and micros).

8. DuaneV

So if you have 1 big Amazon sword, how many DIY tabs would you use?

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I put about 4-6 around each sword that are 10-14" but I have a bunch close together so they also share tabs. For one large, I'd put 6 around the roots.