DIY real rock background?

Pariah

My family and I were at the creek today and we came across a lot of fossils, mostly crinoids, but a few bivalves and mollusks. I haven't cleaned them yet, but they should clean up really nice.

I got to thinking that it would look neat to make a 3D background from these large flat rocks (some are 12"+) with fossils all over them. I tested them with vinegar and no bubbling, but I'm not 100% sure what all the rocks are and if they'd be safe after boiling.

And if these are safe, what would be my best course of action for making the background do you think? I was thinking gluing them with silicone to a board of some sort, like styrofoam or light diffuser.

Pariah

Well darn, nevermind on that idea. I knew several were no bueno from the start due to veins of iron oxide. The others passed the vinegar test, but to be sure I put a drop of hydrochloric acid on the others and sure enough, it fizzed like crazy. Oh well, they'll be nice cleaned up better and displayed elsewhere.

Johnez

Pariah said:
Well darn, nevermind on that idea. I knew several were no bueno from the start due to veins of iron oxide. The others passed the vinegar test, but to be sure I put a drop of hydrochloric acid on the others and sure enough, it fizzed like crazy. Oh well, they'll be nice cleaned up better and displayed elsewhere.
This is actually a pretty cool idea. Have you considered coating the rocks in epoxy? Might not look as authentic but probably make it easier to clean.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom