Diy Quarantine For Guppies

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I plan on adding 4 guppies to my 10 gallon tank with my 3 endlers. I can't get another tank, will this QT setup work?

3 gallon bucket
    Tetra Whisper Filter with air pump
    Tetra 25watt heater
    Simple hide and plant.

Would this work? Do I have to cycle it if it is just for a week or two? How far up do I fill it?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I've never done a QT tank.

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

That should be fine for a QT.

Put some cycled filter media in the QT filter so it’s instantly cycled.

Fill it up as much as you are comfortable with (if they jump) if you dont have a lid.

Are they mixed sexes? As in, will they breed with eachother? It’s suggested not to keep mixed sexes of endlers+guppies as they interbreed which is bad.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

It will work. The more water you have, the better, but you can't very well fill it to the brim, either. 2.5 gallons would probably be good.

If you don't have a cycled sponge filter tucked away in your other tank ( and you should. They are amazingly handy.) Do daily water changes. Essentially, you are doing a fish in cycle.

If you have time, stick that new filter into your established tank to populate with beneficial bacteria . Two weeks would be reasonable for such a small number of fish.

Running the set up without fish or a started filter won't buy you anything. You would have to go through the entire fishless cycle routine, including feeding ammonia and daily testing.

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I have to ask, are you getting the guppies in good condition? Is your endler tank healthy? If both yes, you might consider skipping a quarantine. Or to put it another way, add them straight to the endler tank (after acclimating, of course) and think of that as your quarantine.
    Here's how I see it: If the guppies are sick and infect the endlers, you only stand to lose 3 endlers. Are these high-value breeding stock endlers? Even if one or both species do get sick, you could still medicate, depending on what disease and what else you might have in the tank (inverts?).
    If I'm missing something that's part of your quarantine decision or rationale, I apologize.

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

All males :) thanks.
    I get all of my fish from PetSmart, unfortunatly. My endlers have shown no sign of disease and are very vibrant and active. They aren't show quality. However, is doing this safe for the endlers? Or is QT more trouble then it's worth?

A little more info, I have guppy grass in there for plants, and a mystery snail. I plan on doing shrimp in the future.

6. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You could treat your entire tank with something like Paraguard , if you wanted to skip quarentine. But that is a personal decision .

Best practice is to quarentine all new arrivals until you are assured they are not carrying anything nasty.

7. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

If it were me, I’d skip the quarantine, for the reasons I glossed over above. But that’s not to say I disagree with quarantining, and I recognize that it’s a personal decision based on cost vs benefit for your specific situation.
    Things I’d be weighing, if it were my personal decision:
    - sometimes quarantining brings on problems that fish would have recovered from on their own if added directly to a mature tank. Eg fish get sick in quarantine where they would not have in main tank.
    - in a worst-case situation, u stand to lose 4 new guppies and 3 healthy endlers. If u have get to that point, you’d likely have lost the 4 guppies on their own anyways, so the only additional risk is to the endlers.
    - You’ll be running an additional tank for however long u have the q tank up and running, that’s an added maintenance issue.
    - and you have to set up and tear it down.
    But, as they say, that’s all just my $0.02.
    :)

8. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Thank you so much:)

9. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Coming in late on this (I was searching a similar topic), and both sides definitely have their points, but it also seems worthwhile to mention that it's not just fish you're losing if things go south without a quarantine. The quarantine is meant to be bare and easy to clean if illness IS brought in by new fish. If you bring a parasite or other illness into you're established aquarium, in addition to the fish death, you would have to eradicate the pathogen from the rest of your aquarium before adding new fish. Depending on how much of a setup you have and what kind of illness the fish bring in, this could also be a big ordeal. Just something else to consider.

10. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Thanks. I’m considering g going to my LFS for them, will this decrease my chances of disease?

11. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Valued Member Member

Hard to say - shops can vary. LFS or otherwise, definitely scope the place out. Be able to spot sick fish behavior, judge how clean the tanks look, and keep an eye out for dead fish left in tanks. You can also read online reviews. Take them with a grain of salt, but if they're overwhelmingly negative, maybe opt for elsewhere.

That being said, I do think it's great to give LFSs our business when we can.