DIY Potassium or Manganese?

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've identified either a potassium or manganese deficiency (really bad pin-holing and yellowing on edges of leaves or veins). Is there a way to add these from my own home rather than making an hours drive to my LFS? I've heard manganese can be added via epsom salt, but I have plecos, are they safe with epsom salt?

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate MgSO4, it contains no Manganese.

If it's a Magnesium deficiency, yes, epsom salt can be used and it is safe for fish and inverts.

For Potassium, Potassium Sulfate K2SO4 can be used, or Potassium Nitrate KNO3, or Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4.

fa4960

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can order Manganese (II) Sulfate MnSO4.H2O from Amazon or similar. Locally here I got a 1 kg for USD 1.50 so you will have a lifetime supply as very little is needed. The calculator on rotatalabutterfly.com will tell you how much is needed for your amount of water. Since very little is needed you may be better of making a solution, but even then you may need to buy a 0.01g scale to measure it out.

I would probably try with Magnesium first, and buy it in the form of epsom salt as suggested above, e.g. Magnesium Sulfate heptahydrate MgSO4.7H2O

PS: Unless you are on a private well try to contact your local water authority and ask for a certificate of the drinking water in your area. Then you know your starting point.

OP
tum0r

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
fa4960 said:
You can order Manganese (II) Sulfate MnSO4.H2O from Amazon or similar. Locally here I got a 1 kg for USD 1.50 so you will have a lifetime supply as very little is needed. The calculator on rotatalabutterfly.com will tell you how much is needed for your amount of water. Since very little is needed you may be better of making a solution, but even then you may need to buy a 0.01g scale to measure it out.

I would probably try with Magnesium first, and buy it in the form of epsom salt as suggested above, e.g. Magnesium Sulfate heptahydrate MgSO4.7H2O

PS: Unless you are on a private well try to contact your local water authority and ask for a certificate of the drinking water in your area. Then you know your starting point.
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated! As is the link, I'm sure I'll find it a very useful tool.

fa4960

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tum0r said:
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated! As is the link, I'm sure I'll find it a very useful tool.
You are welcome.

You can also make your own fertilizer with all the needed components. That's what I do due to no/little local availability and high shipping cost. It's easy and I have a thread going with my experiences to date. Also happy to answer any questions you may have....

Diy Ferts - Micro Questions | Plant Fertilizers 364653

I have also added all the calculations from rotalabutterfly.com into a Excel spreadsheet so if you are familiar with MS Excel or spreadsheets in general I am happy to share it.

New Threads