DIY Pond Filter?

MaddieLynn
I'm wanting to make a DIY pond filter with my Marineland 550 Powerhead. The problem is, it only pumps 145 GPH. I'm planning for it to pump water through a 1 gallon container with alternating layers of gravel and sponge. Is there any way I can increase the GPH it puts out? I have one of those air pumps; is there any way I can use that to increase the water flow? How big of a pond could I filter with the 145 GPH powerhead pumping water through a 1-gallon filter media container? Should I get a bigger container?

Shawnie
did you check out all the DIY ideas in the pond section? there's a ton of information

TedsTank
your idea is good and could work...but..how big is your pond?
I wouldn't layer gravel and sponge....it will be a nightmare to clean....go thru gravel first, then sponge.....2 big layers.

For a filter get one of those rubber tub things for storage...maybe 5 gallon size. Try rubbermaid products....those plastic things at walmart get brittle outdoors.

MaddieLynn
It is a rubbermaid product. It just doesn't look like a rubbermaid tub. It's more of a food storage container.

I don't have a pond... I was wondering what the max size I could filter with that would be.

TedsTank
that is hard to compute....you powerhead would do over 3000gal a day...you could certainly do a small pond...up to 200 gallons...with plants and small goldies and not in direct sun all day....your idea is better than the little pond pumps with only a small sponge filter. Dwarf water lilies would also make a nice cover on top of the pool. Just don't over stock. I've done several ponds and finally ended up with the big one...but overstocking is the main problem....some fish get quite large (Koi) so research, reseach, research.

MaddieLynn
WOW! I had no idea it would pump that much!

TedsTank
sure...145 gallons an hour x 24 hours ought to make a nice filtering system....just again, be careful of overstocking the pool...don't mean to nag, but, I lost my first whole pool of KOI to ammonia....once burnt they just keep dying.....some fast...some slow...it is awful. A fishes gills don't heal or at least not fast enough to save them.

Top Bottom