Diy Platy Fry Net

Xiphophorus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, so I was wondering if I could use an old pet store bag, washed of course with my aquarium water, and if I saw any platy fry, keep them in there. I'll poke holes in there , and try to let it float on its own. Let me know if this will work. Thanks!

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In theory I would say that "could" work.

The issue I am seeing with that would be flow in and out of the bag. I don't think poking some holes into the bag would allow for adequate flow, and the only way you would be able to get enough flow is the poke larger holes, thus making it pointless as the fry would escape.

I think the best makeshift temporary holder would be a net, however I would suggest spending the $ and getting a proper fry holder.

The best bet to ensure survival would be to set up a 10 gallon grow out tank and keeping a sponge filter (to seed bacteria) in the main tank that you can use when you do find fry.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Even a 5 gallon makes for a decent grow out tank for a little bit of time. You can usually get a breeder net for 7-10$. I personally like the marina breeder boxes that you can hook an airpump to and it will give the box continuous flow from the same water they were born in.

OP
X

Xiphophorus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, cool. Also, should I put the parent in the net? or should I try to net the fry, because I'll see them one second, and they'll be gone the next.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't put the parents in the net. Two good ways i've found to catch fry is one using a turkey baster and two using a cup when you see the fry squeeze the baster ball and try to suck them up or if you use the cup , when u see the fry submerge it next to them and the flow going into the cup should be strong enough to get them in the cup and pour them into the net.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Net the fry, putting mom in can stress her and cause her to abort

Some fry my get eaten, but saving some is good. You will get overrun fast otherwise

OP
X

Xiphophorus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, I'll try your methods, I might just try netting them. I'll also try the cup method as well

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Xiphophorus said:
Alright, I'll try your methods, I might just try netting them. I'll also try the cup method as well
Honestly I think the cup/turkey baster will be better to avoid getting their tiny fins stuck in the mesh net. Good luck! their fun to try to catch ;)

OP
X

Xiphophorus

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'll be getting a box or a net today, so I'll let you know how the fry wrangling goes
:p

New Threads