Diy Plant Weights

1. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I need to have some hind of weight to hold down some Wisteria stems until they root. Nobody around here sells plant weights. I have had a couple of ideas but I' m not sure if they would be safe. The first one was to cut the ends off a large sewing needle and tie the stems to that. It would be easy to push down into the gravel. My second thought was to use a twist tie from a loaf of bread and wrap it around the stems. I'm sure either one would work but I don't know how safe it would be for the tank.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

You can put the stems between 2 nice sized rocks.

3. OP
    OP
    Dch48

Research says the twist tie is out so maybe I'll just get a small rock like I used with my Anubias and Java Fern. They were both superglued to a rock and are doing great. I tried that with the Wisteria and 3 stems out of 5 rotted at the bottom and floated up. The 2 that have stayed had good roots on them to begin with. The others were cut shorter by me so had no roots. The ones I want to weigh back down will also have no roots. I guess I'll just try to tie them to a rock and see if that works.

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Or you can let it float until it grows longer roots then plant it.

5. OP
    OP
    Dch48

I tied 2 stems to a larger piece of aquarium gravel and pushed it down a little. It may work unless the snails move it. I'll just have to wait and see.

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Good luck. I dont have much luck with water wisteria in the first place, and I never have luck with it in gravel.