Diy Nitrate Reactor

Tiny_Tanganyikans

So when a local small shop/breeder shutdown I was lucky enough to get all of his stuff off craigslist.

In the collection of amazing things were a few bottles (2 gallons) of seachems denitrate and some sulfur beads (6 liters).

I am going to make a external nitrate reactor and plumb it into my sump on my overstocked cichlid aquariums. Since there's not a lot of fast growing plants I figure it can't hurt. I already use nitrazorb and alternate it with recharged media and I have both matrix and pond matrix in my wet/dry tower but apparently this works very well so i'd like to try it.

I have a digital pump that I can set to 50 gph for the reactor. I'm going to use denitrate because I'm not confident in building a reactor for the sulfur beads that can remove the hydrogen sulfide gas.

My question is does the diameter of the PVC have any effect on the anaerobic bacteria? I have a lot of pvc of all sizes left over from my hydroponic gardens.

I was going to use 2" pipe but I'm wondering if 4" or 6" would be better since in theory it would allow more contact with the media. If it doesn't make any difference 2" pipe would fit more nicely in my setup. Does anyone have a real reactor that they can measure? I'm not about to spend 300 $ on one it I can make it. If anyone has any information or experience I'd appreciate hearing it. I've not been able to find any information regarding the diameter of the reactor on Google.

Nada Mucho

You ever read a thread that sounded really cool but you have NO idea what is being said? That's me right now. I'm subbed and I can't wait to learn more.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Update;

Well I decided to just make one, I went with 3" pipe.

It could always be used as a canister filter as well.

20170515_181103.jpg
20170515_181400-1.jpg
20170515_181622-1.jpg

paulojbsilva

Well, I wouldn't use an opaque tube, since I couldn't see the tumbling of the media and evaluate how's thing inside, but besides that, looks pretty good.

OnTheFly

You ever read a thread that sounded really cool but you have NO idea what is being said? That's me right now. I'm subbed and I can't wait to learn more.
I think it turns fish poop into whiskey.

I'm about to learn something too.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well, I wouldn't use an opaque tube, since I couldn't see the tumbling of the media and evaluate how's thing inside, but besides that, looks pretty good.
As a nitrate reactor the media doesn't tumble. Its packed in from bottom to top flow is miniscule at 49gph to encourage anaerobic bacteria. I used clear pvc for my co2 reactors just for aesthetics, I put a blue light inside and its plumbed into my sump. It looks nice but serves no purpose but point is it was expensive, a length of pipe for this application in clear would be pretty costly and I could purchase an actual reactor.

tyguy7760

Excited to see the results. Glad I found this thread.

I plan on doing a nitrate refugium when I get my large tank. Not looking to eradicate nitrates...but to keep them steady would be a success

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well I purchased 20 gallons of pumice from Amazon and I sifted out all the pea sized grains which is exactly what denitrate is. I built a few more reactors and installed one into my MalawI sump that holds 2 gallons of media. I played around with the ball valve until I got the flow under 50gph(approx 47/48) and within two weeks(of establishing) it eradicated my nitrates. Usually the malawI water (which is overstocked) hovers around 10-15ppm nitrates. Since the reactor has been in place my nitrates don't even register on the apI test, my elos kit that uses different reagents says around ~3/5ppm.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Replies
Views
Cranks_Tanks
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views