DIY nitrate filter with pothos plants

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by folion, Dec 17, 2012.

1. f

folion New Member Member

Hey guys

I just wanted to share a little about the success I have had in setting up a nitrate filter in my African cichlid tank using Pothos plants in a HOB filter. At first I was thinking this was going to be a failure because the plants would not grow any roots for almost 3 weeks. But in the past week I have had a explosion of root growth and have noticed my nitrate levels getting smaller between water changes.

Here are some photos and tell me what you think.

2012-11-09_22-54-12_654.jpg 2012-12-17_01-17-23_435.jpg 2012-12-17_01-17-40_450.jpg

2. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

very nice i love having plants in hob filters

3. Oso

Oso Well Known Member Member

Are the plants growing into the sponge? If so how did you get them to do that :eek:

I have bamboo in my HOB :D I just tossed in some ceramic filter media and put the bamboo ontop. They took really well and have grown a ton

[​IMG]

4. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Where do you get those plants I WANNA DO THIS!!!
    that is awesome!!

5. OP
    OP
    f

folion New Member Member

I got them at home depot. Try to find one that has grown a good bit so you can get some good clippings from it. I have read on some sites that some people just rinse the roots and place them in the HOB but I was worried about fertilizers getting into the tank. So I started with just clippings.

They just started rooting into the sponge as soon as the roots started growing. I have been thinking about doing lucky bamboo as well. From the look on your tank it adds a nice touch :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    f

folion New Member Member

Pothos plant growing inside a HOB filter.

A little video on a pothos plant growing inside of a HOB filter
    [video=youtube_share;q7Ao53UG9gE]http://youtu.be/q7Ao53UG9gE[/video]

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

You can find Pothos Vines at Walmart, ACE, many many places that sell plants or stores with garden shops. They should be easy to find.

NOTE: For those with small children and pets, Pothos is listed as a poisonous plant in the link below:

However, Pothos is NOT listed on the Plants Poisonous to Fish List below:'

They root very well in water. I've rooted many over the years.

Great job Folion! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ken candycane2.gif

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice