Diy Lights, Will They Work?

Celestialpearl

Hey all,

I would like to seek your opinion on my light set up and seek advice on what I could be doing better here.

I decided move my 20gal L to the basement so I could have it properly set it up. Problem is, I don’t have $200 for the light I want, college budget . So I decided to try some alternatives.

I want to be able to support good growth from low-med plants. For now I’d like this to be a grow out tank or just a plant only tank. I have no clue what I am doing with the style of lighting I chose to go with.

I was looking into shop lights, but I don’t know if I can get enough growth out of them. I don’t think the light will be intense enough.

I picked up some clip lights and got the highest lumen bulbs I could get. I want something that can give out enough PAR but with this method I have no reference to cross match lumens/watts/PAR.

I had an old shower rack so I have the lights hung above the tank. I have two 100w LED bulbs on the end and one 120w LED flood light in the middle.

I tried looking for cfl but can’t find them anymore. LED is the new standard around here.

The 100w LEDs are rated at 1500 lumens ea.
The 120w LED flood light is rated at 1400 lumens.

All lights are in the 5000k spectrum.

So far I’ve noticed the flood light penetrates the water better. Light from the bulb is emitted within a 45 degree angle. It adds a nice shimmer effect. I think the light out of the 100watts may be too diffuse. Time will tell, I just don’t want my plants to fry or die.

You must be registered to see images

Demeter

I'm all for DIY lighting. I'm using a plain old goose neck lamp with a daytime LED bulb for one tank and an LED shop light for another. I think your setup will be fine soon as the plants adjust to the new lighting.

Celestialpearl

Update:
I didn’t like the lights. They were only 5000k. I don’t know if the plants can actually use that. I saw another member on here mentioned finding 6500k cfl bulbs at TSC. Searched online and saw my store had them. I do not know how I missed them because I was in there looking for lights and reflectors that day. 1 of 2 stores that I can find cfl bulbs. Unless Kroger, CVS or Walgreens carries them since I didn’t go there.

Well the lights are a little bit big... the basement looks cool because it really looks like there’s an open window down there, but I think I’m going to have to build a reflector or a floating hood around it...it is a bit too much light shining everywhere...

Thunder_o_b

Sure looks bright enough Well done

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MrBryan723
  • JustAFishServant
  • Lighting
Replies
Views