Diy Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sean Brown, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Sean BrownNew MemberMember

I'm currently working towards getting my 125 long tank set up. I've had it and the stand in storage for 14 years so starting over.

My question is about lighting. My hood was designed by me in such a way that I can install lighting behind glass so as to protect from moisture or water splashes. I'm planning on a planted tank so I do need the correct spectrum. What I don't need to buy is aquarium specific lighting with brackets, etc for mounting. What little research I've done so far leads me to believe I can save money by DIY.

Do you experienced members think this particular product would be suitable for my purpose? I have made no decisions yet over which plants or fish I will be keeping. I'd like to keep those choices open for now.

Attached Files:

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Sounds quite expensive as most “grow lights” are. I’d suggest buying daylight or “cool” LED shop lights. I’ve got one and plan to get another for my other planted tank. The plants do just fine and they don’t seem to lack light.

You can also look into outdoor flood lights. I’ve used one but I’ve heard good things about them for planted tanks.

3. bryangarWell Known MemberMember

How did the flood light work for you?

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Oops, I meant to put “never used one” :p Try looking at youtube videos, I know there’s a few good ones and one compares an expensive brand to a cheep flood light.

5. ChrisXWell Known MemberMember

Check out plantedtank.net lighting section to see many DIY lights for planted tanks.

6. Sean BrownNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone. I'll do some research there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice