DIY Light Hanger for metal stands???

Beelzebubbles

So i've been looking online for solutions to hang my 4 lamp fixture over my planted tank.

so far the best hanger I have found was from aquatic life. the problem is, you need a wood stand for it to work.

I have decided that it isn't too hard to get some steel conduit and bend it over the tank. now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to secure it to my stand.

I hate diy projects and I'm not handy AT ALL
The best way I can think of fixing the conduit to the 1/2" square tube stand is some zip ties.

could anybody more handy help me figure out what I can use to attach this securely?

would something like this work?

Adam55

Here's my opinion as another non-handyman.

If DIY is not your thing (and that's OK), tackling the process of suspending a light fixture over a large tank of water might not be something you want to do.

jetajockey

The steel conduit thing seems simple enough, or possibly use something like shepherds hooks if you could find the right size and they are of high enough quality. I've had this issue come up a time or two and I've always opted to just put hooks in the ceiling and hang the lights with chains or wire.

Dolfan

The bolts you listed may work. Zipties would also work, but you would want to use a lot of them, along the entire length of pipe/tube attaching it to the stand very well. Another option would be U-shaped bolts like this.....

Maybe 3 or 4 of these on each support would be good. You may want to use some zipties too, to get the supports in position and in place then secure tightly with the U-bolts for a strong stable attachment.

matsungit

Another option instead of the metal tube is colored PVC. Bulk Reef Supply sells multI colored PVC up to 2" thick. They also sell surface mounted clamps.

matsungit

Oops. Didn't notice you're in Canada. haha.

Slug

Conduit is easy to bend, I actually bought one of the benders and have it at the house for all of my projects. You could also just piece straight pieces together with 90 degree pieces with set screw couplings.

To attach the large vertical pieces to the stand you could use some conduit straps, just screw on each side.

Kindafishy

That fixture is more than you need. You could use 2 of these:

That was found on a quick search. They make a metal version that would be preferable. 2 for each piece of tubing would be fine, but if you have a typical wooden aquarium stand, I would recommend running small bolts through with washers and nuts on the inside.

Edit: didn't realize I had this post sitting on my screen. What is posted above me is what I was thinking of.

jetajockey

Oops. Didn't notice you're in Canada. haha.

Most hardware stores will carry PVC piping as well. I don't know how well it'll hold up in the long run, though , as it tends to bend over time.

Ive used it to mount lights but had it braced on both the front and back of the tank, it worked well this way.

matsungit

Most hardware stores will carry PVC piping as well. I don't know how well it'll hold up in the long run, though , as it tends to bend over time.

Ive used it to mount lights but had it braced on both the front and back of the tank, it worked well this way.

Almost all hardware stores just stock schedule 40 in white or schedule 80 in dark gray which is pretty boring. Bulk Reef has the schedule 40s in Green, Orange, Grey, Purple, Yellow, Black, Blue, and Red.

You are right that they tend to bend over time so that will depend on PVC thickness and length, and also the weight of the fixture. If you reinforce the corners (like a triangle) with 45 degree Y fittings, it might also do.

jetajockey

Yes, although for the cost of ordering it in a special color and having it shipped in, it's probably much cheaper to buy it locally and paint it yourself.

matsungit

Yes, although for the cost of ordering it in a special color and having it shipped in, it's probably much cheaper to buy it locally and paint it yourself.

Haha, you have a good point.

Beelzebubbles

Thanks everyone for the help. I have decided I'm going to make a freestanding stand/rack out of some ABS tees and elbow joints

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
elliot5445
Replies
Views
altwitch
Replies
Views
Dave125g
  • Question
Replies