hello, over the past few months, I have been experimenting with making my own driftwood. I needed to find hardwood species, take branches, and cure them. I did reaserch on what type of wood spiderwood is, it happens to be azalea bushes. I took a few azalea branches, threw them in the oven at 215 degrees for 3 hours. When I took them out, I rinsed them thoroughly. I kept the bark on, and I'm glad I did, here's why. Not all people have access to a sand blaster which is the most efficient way to remove bark. So I burried the larger peices that I couldn't boil into the substrate. They were in a shrimp and pleco tank. As we all know, pleco looovveeee driftwood. It's effort for them to chew the actual wood. But the bark is easy money. Within a month, almost all the bark was gone. Even if you don't have pleco, just make a little nick in the bark at random spots, and in a short amount of time it will peel off. I even made a driftwood pleco cave that had my bristlenose spawn for the first time. The male can much on the wood while protecting eggs. Here is a list of safe woods that I used successfully.
pictures of the driftwood I made are up top