DIY LED moonlight

chevyguy8893
Here's my black light/ red light LED lighting setup. It consists of two 5mm ultraviolet LED's from radioshack with resistors wired to them. The red LED was removed from a busted SUV mirror assembly where it was a turn signal, works well here too. I mounted the LED's in the hood to the reflectors with LED holders. The 5mm LED's had to be sanded to diffuse the light better than the 20 degree angle they start with. They are driven by a modified PC power supply I had laying around. It was converted to run 12 volts, 5 volts, and 3.3 volts. If I chose to do so I could run interior neon or LED's for a car, or I could run CCL at some point very easily.

It was all very easy to do, but did take some time to do it all at once. This is mostly for aesthetic purposes though .

List of sites used for the project

Power supply conversion

Single LED calculator
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Parts used
5mm LED's
16 guage stranded wire
Heat shrink tubing
Banana jack binding posts
Ring terminals
Plastic LED holders

Lunas
Red is not moon light

And they make 12v wall warts using a PC power supply like this probably is handier but I would move to a old wall wart unless your going to power a lot more than that off it.

chevyguy8893
I know red isn't moonlight which is why I said mine was for aesthetic purposes. I had the power supply laying around and didn't have anything I could use for a wall supply. This was done to keep things cheap and provided an alternative. I have other uses for the power supply if I need it.

BradFL08
Ha, I haven't a clue what color is supposed to best represent anything.... but this looks pretty cool! Good use'age of stuff you had. I'm not much of an electrician and wouldn't even attempt wiring anything, but you did a good job! This looks cool

chevyguy8893
Thanks! It is always fun to be able to build something and see it work in the end. It's always a plus to do it cheaply with spare parts. These colors don't do anything other than light the tank so I can see my night bottom dwellers without startling them .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mjordan
Replies
Views
outlaw
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views