Diy-ing My Own Driftwood. Are These Types Of Wood Safe?

1. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

Hi there! I've done extensive research on how to DIY your own driftwood, and general woods that are safe. However,I found some really, really beautiful pieces of wood that I'd love in my tank, but I'm not sure if they are safe or not.

It's wood from an ornamental pear tree. It's been out and dead for over 3 years now, completely dried out, and the bark peeled right off. I scrubbed it down and it's now sitting in a bucket to soak for about 2 weeks.

Anyone know if this wood is safe or not? It's so beautiful....

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

Pic?

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Yes, pear tree wood is fine to use in an aquarium

4. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

5. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Thank you!!

6. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

There are no toxins from pear wood to worry about and if its been dead for 3 years, all of the decomposable organics should be broken down. Now all you have to do is boil it. Put it in a full pot of fresh water and turn on the burner and once it actually starts to boil, start timing it so that it has boiled for a good 30 minutes. If it was too long to completely fit in the pot, take it out and turn it over and boil the other side and boil it for 30 minutes too. Take it out of the pot and let it cool enough to handle. Then rince well under the faucet with fresh water and just sit it back on the paper towel or back in your bucket of water until your ready to use it.

7. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Well, I still want to make sure it gets waterlogged and doesn't float, so is it okay to soak it for a couple weeks first and then boil it?

8. finnipper59

Yes. It will actually waterlog better if you boil it and the just place back in fresh water afterwards. But either way works.

9. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

oh... oops! lol. I'll just go boil em after im done with lunch then. my bad!

10. finnipper59

It's all good!