Diy food and aquarium

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by prozium, Aug 8, 2015.

1. prozium

proziumValued MemberMember

Two questions for discussion:

Does anyone make their own food? If so what foods have you found to be acceptable?

Has anyone built their own aquarium? If so does 1/4 tempered glass sound thick enough for a 20x20x35 build?

2. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

The best food I have ever "made" for my fish is live food that I have cultured for my fish. This depends entirely on what fish you are keeping. For much larger species, I know many fishkeepers purchase seafood at their local supermarket and blend it together to create an easy DIY food.

I would recommend a thickness of 1/2" for your build. I would also recommend that you use non-tempered glass when building your glass tank. Good luck! :)

3. OP
    OP
    prozium

Why non tempered? Tempered is stronger yes?

Omnivores. One I saw called for beef heart, shrimp, talipia, spirulina, and spinach. I'm sure there are other good options. Like if snails are present what about egg shells pulverised?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  4. TanksbyTim

Tempered is stronger, but to my knowledge tempered glass tends to break into many small pieces rather than crack. This would obviously be catastrophic compared to non-tempered glass if your tank was to break. If you don't mind knowing that, then tempered is definitely an option for you. I just prefer non-tempered glass. Some omnivores enjoy crushed snails, and all of those food choices sound nice but be careful with beef heart if you have a planted tank. I have heard of people having large algae problems when mixing the two. Good luck! :)

5. OP
    OP
    prozium

Thanks I'll keep ya'll posted

6. TanksbyTim

Sounds great! :)

7. OP
    OP
    prozium

So the follow up to this is I am inclined to agree- homemade good might be better for large fish or even very large quantities of fish. A pet store could make a killing producing their own food, plus some other diy stuff.

8. Sharka

SharkaNew MemberMember

I do food for fish: I mix of raw or blanched veggies and some shrimps or fish, raw but frozen, add dissolved gelatine, all smashed in home processor and than I cut in small pieces once the gelatine settles. Fish go crazy after it.
    I also add one multivitamin, but take off the coating and crush it.
    It's really easy and it depends on your fish food preferences.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. OP
    OP
    prozium

Do you make anything that could be fed to rcs, trumpet snails and guppies? I am under the impression guppies like floating foods