Diy Fluidized Sand Filter - 40 Gallon Set-up

ThePuzzleMaker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello

I have a 40 gallon breeder and I'm setting up a Fluidized Sand Filter with a powerhead I already own.
In my opinion sand filters look stunning and seem to be able to handle huge amounts of Bioload.
But it all looks so good to me that it made me think about why they aren't that common.

Is there any strong down-side that I should know about?

Thank you!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you putting them in a plastic bottle or is there a separate tank that will will do the work (Sump pump). If your doing the bottle route you will need to research to see what size of bottle you will need and if that's going to be enough for a 40 gallon tank.

OP
T

ThePuzzleMaker

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm doing it with a glass cylinder. I've seen that 1 pound of sand per 100 gallons of flow works best. I have a 300gph powerhead so I'm doing a little more than 3 pounds of sand.

bigdreams

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Whats your bioload that you need something like this?

What happens in case of power failure? I have read these filters go anaerobic very quickly if turned off... But I don't know if that is in fact the case.

Also, you will need to ensure you don't blow sand into the tank... So need to make sure the reactor has a fine mesh to keep the sand in.

As far as why they aren't more common, to me or would be because they are expensive, a pain to deal with, and probably overkill for most people. A sponge is much easier and last long time. Why complicate you life? Also, K1 media is easier to add to a sump, for example. Dump some in between two baffles, add some air lines and you are done. It looks pretty cool. And is easier to do (soda bottle, some k1 media and an airline). I added a DIY k1 reactor to a classroom aquarium, kids love it. Cost $12.

Anyway, I am at the point in the hobby where I want to keep it simple. But that's just me

New Threads