DIY Fishroom Stage 0

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Crayzycray, Aug 11, 2015.

1. CrayzycrayNew MemberMember

I say stage 0 because I am still cleaning it! I wanted some bare bones this is what I have to work with pictures, though. It is supposed to be used for a spare bedroom, but my other half has given me permission to set up a small fish room in it! (YAY!!!!) I plan to breed crayfish, guppies, and perhaps a couple of other live bearers for now. I used to have a set up in a similar room in my old home as a teenager and bred guppies, angels and discus. I know quite a bit more about homes now that I own my own and have a question regarding flooring before I even get started.

This room was previously used to whelp and house our Borzoi litter of puppies from a year ago. It took a beating from that... a heavy one... so I will need to patch the wall and paint it before anything else happens in the room. For the flooring with the puppies we put vinyl over the carpet to "save" it as a few of my breeder friends warned me to do... and I am SO glad we did it. haha they still managed to chew through a few pieces of vinyl into the carpet... but it saved from having a huge mess and made clean up faster.

My question on flooring is.... should I use something over the carpet for the fish room. I will have to replace the flooring eventually from where they chewed, and hope to get a few quotes soon... but it might be a few months before I can replace the carpet with either more carpet or another type of flooring. Do any of you have fish rooms on carpet? I had it as a teenager because my parents were not about to replace carpet and I don't remember it being terrible, but it was a while ago.

I am unsure if I do something like the vinyl over the carpet temporarily if it will make the rack systems to hold the tanks unsteady. I am still planning my rack systems as well. I thought about the concrete block system as it is easy to rearrange and will work for the amount of tanks I'm starting out with.... but I'm also unsure of the weight it will add to the tanks. My flooring is built strong, but we are over a crawl space not on slab floor.

Any fish room experience or knowledge anyone can share with me will be extremely helpful while I plan! I pretty much haphazardly acquired tanks before into building a bigger and bigger fish room. This one I would like to actually have a game plan for!

IMG_2966.JPGIMG_2969.JPG

This is the room Stage 0 - AKA a total mess. The room has already had sharks in it... Puppy Sharks!! I have a LOT of work to do.

At least fish wont dig holes in the wall... chew holes in the floor and window seal and destroy blinds.... I hope. ;)

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

One issue I can see is that when it comes time to replace the flooring, it's going to be so much work to move the tanks and equipment out and then back in once it's done. If it were me, I'd wait until the flooring situation was settled so I wouldn't have to move everything around in the future.

3. babynemoValued MemberMember

Don't have much to say, but I'm gonna follow this thread!
    :)

4. CrayzycrayNew MemberMember

For the time being I'm planning on having two ten gallons and a 30 gallon long in there. I am unsure what kind of flooring to put in there as well. I am not sure how composite wood flooring would be... or linoleum? I know I don't want to pay for actual wood flooring and no concrete, though that would be best for a fish room. Concrete in a bedroom will bring down the value of my home. The cheapest would be to replace it with carpet, but I'm not 100% sure how steady that will be for the tanks. My current tanks are on carpet, but they are on individual stands and aren't more then a 55 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice