DIY fish tank vs store bought

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
What is cheaper making ur own tank or DIY glass tank?

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
I don't think you could make your own tank for the price of most standard tanks. Plus to be sure all the seams are well done and secure, I would go with a store bought. If you are looking for a custom tank such as a weird measurement or whatever, I would suggest glasscages.com. They will make whatever you want out of glass, acrylic or the "low iron" glass that is supposed to be much clearer.

OP
L

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
I don't think you could make your own tank for the price of most standard tanks. Plus to be sure all the seams are well done and secure, I would go with a store bought. If you are looking for a custom tank such as a weird measurement or whatever, I would suggest glasscages.com. They will make whatever you want out of glass, acrylic or the "low iron" glass that is supposed to be much clearer.
I thought DIY was suppose to be cheaper?

Plecomaker

Well Known
Not in this case. Because theybuy all the materials in bulk ata discounted rate, it cheaper then it would be to buy all the glass at normal cost for 1 tank.

Tolak

Well Known
With the buck a gallon sales that regularly occur, and often a glut of new tanks afterward, unless you've got a source of suitable glass nearly free there is no savings building your own with tanks in the 10-55 gallon range. Used tanks in that size range go for 50 cents per gallon, often less if you find someone breaking down a fishroom. If you can find a couple, maybe 3 tanks that have a broken panel you can disassemble & build a usable tank, maybe 2, often people give away broken tanks.

If you want to go big many people opt for plywood tanks with 1 glass side, you're talking the 150 gallon plus range. It's cheaper than new, often cheaper than used, but there's still a considerable materials cost as well as needing to have some building skills.

Chris99

Well Known
I would say for the standard sizes (210 and less) it is cheaper to buy at a store. I just bought a 150 new for $550 and I can't imagine buying the glass alone for that price.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
I own an aquatic design consultancy and build all my own tanks, I can easily match or undercut the cost of an LFS bought aquarium.

For example, the first tank I built - my 26gal - cost me £80 in materials. The equivalent of that from a manufacturer would cost around double that.

tameone

£80 is $117 USD right now. You can get a complete 29 gallon kit in the states for around $70 USD with tank, hood, light, heater, filter, thermometer, food, water conditioner, bacteria starter. Frequently there are $1/gal sales, so a 26 gal would be under $30 USD with tax. That's about £20.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Unfortunately for us (or rather, fortunately for me), we can't get tanks that cheap over here A Juwel Rio 125 for example, is around £216. It depends on the quality you are after really.

Plecomaker

Well Known
Yeah, I could easily locate a 50 gallon for that same price.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dizzydes
Replies
Views
ErikaCA
Replies
Views
learningasigo
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
TheTacoManChach

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

On question type threads it is important to up-vote answers that have helped you! This allows others to find good answers quicky in threads and gives feedback to those helping you!

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom