DIY Fish food threads, ideas, and recepies?

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I noticed my fish became bored with the same fish food over and over. I feed flakes, shrimp pellets, sometimes blood worms. But I noticed they go absolutely crazy for boiled egg yolk and its the equivalent of red bull for my fish tanks. I am starting to think that I should mix the pet store food with a wide variety of other foods. So far I made a fish feeding schedule for a week, but I am looking to expand it to a monthly schedule with a variety of home foods and do it yourself fish food recipes. Anyone recommend DIY threads or knows a link on how to make fresh fish food? Does anyone want to share ideas for any home foods (vegetable, meats, etc) that can be fed to fish?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't have much experience with DIY fish food I'll admit, but I know that seafood is the best, and they shouldnt have much or any rice, and same with land animal meat because it's harder for them to digest and IME is easier to cause swim bladder.

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All fish benefit from a varied diet, no matter what species they are! Betta splendens are mainly carnivorous, but can eat other things as well! Goldfish are mainly herbivorous, but do require high amounts of carbohydrates and love a varied diet! If you have herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores depends on the species. What fish do you have, if I may ask? :)

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recommend collecting or culturing live food, like bloodworms, mosquito larvae, daphnia, gammarus, etc., instead of DIY fish food. You can't do it better than the fish food companies, so there is no point other than being self indulgent.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't put much human food in for fish, but I have for snails. They love veggies! I have made snello also for snails :rolleyes: Try the Fluval Bug Bites food. My fish go crazy for it.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JustAFishServant said:
All fish benefit from a varied diet, no matter what species they are! Betta splendens are mainly carnivorous, but can eat other things as well! Goldfish are mainly herbivorous, but do require high amounts of carbohydrates and love a varied diet! If you have herbivores, omnivores, or carnivores depends on the species. What fish do you have, if I may ask? :)
Black Ruby Barbs, Rummynose Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Celestial Pearl Danios, False Juli Corydoras, and Betta Splendence.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the input. Since I have mostly omnivorous fish, I am thinking of feeding shrimp from the fish market maybe scallops too. I will have to look up that last one better. The only thing that is holding me back is if they become aggressive and turn on the small fish with feeding them shrimp meat.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If they do just make sure the smaller fish get some food too! I would remove it after a little bit too because it may muck up your water fast. People use shrimp for ammonia in cycling tanks. Sounds like it works fast.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a couple of stickies here:
Fish Food Forum
You might find them helpful

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheFishmonger said:
Thank you for the input. Since I have mostly omnivorous fish, I am thinking of feeding shrimp from the fish market maybe scallops too. I will have to look up that last one better. The only thing that is holding me back is if they become aggressive and turn on the small fish with feeding them shrimp meat.
Great idea! In fact, I do the same! Once in a blue moon I will go to Sprouts and the nice employees there will give me a fresh River Shrimp for free! They'll do the same with other foods as well, like scallops. The Betta girls love it (I don't really keep other fish except female Bettas in their own 15-40 gallon tanks, a Pompom and Pearlscale Goldfish in a 50 gal, and the occasional oddball, as well as other pets). I recommend doing the same! ;D

Lea Rwamwitani

Reaction score
I recently added snails and made them snello. Everyone in the tank loved it not just the snails. You could make it without calcium for your fish.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lea Rwamwitani said:
I recently added snails and made them snello. Everyone in the tank loved it not just the snails. You could make it without calcium for your fish.
It depends on the snails. Nerites don't like much of anything. Mysteries love it.

New Threads