DIY Fish Food- Dos and Don'ts?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by XxTheSilentWolfxX, Jun 28, 2016.

1. XxTheSilentWolfxXNew MemberMember

I'm thinking of trying to make my own fish food for some large carnivorous cichlids I plan on keeping soon. I would use stuff like beef heart, little chunks of fish fillets, spirulina algae, and a combo of pellets and flakes. My question is:
    Can I add fresh creatures?
    I mean like brine shrimp, daphnia, and maybe chunks of earthworm and microworms. Perhaps harvested and frozen first? The food would be added to gelatin and refrigerated for 24 hours then frozen until use. Would this work? I want the benefits of live foods I'll be cultivating for my feeder fish for my cichlids. Any help would be great. I've never made any DIY fish food at all, nor owned any cichlids except for angelfish, and needed a little help. I've frozen my own baby brine shrimp and fed them to fry before and they loved it. I'd like a little higher protein content for my cichlids than what is provided in the cichlid foods I'd be feeding them. Any alternatives to add to the DIY food would be appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice