DIY filter

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Hey guys, i did not get a reply for my previous post, i don't mean to double post but what do you guy's think of this DIY filter?

I was looking through some DIY stuff and came across this. In the video, the guy uses k1(btw i have no idea what K1 is) But he did mention in the comments that this DIY filter could be used as a bio filter too. So i just wanted to know how viable this DIY filter was :). And 1 more question is whether i could use normal filter media, like the spongey types? :eek:

Thanks,
    May

2. klogue2Valued MemberMember

From what I have learned if it is a solid surface, the BB will grow on it. Some media just houses more BB than others. I believe your filter will work fine, and yes if you can get it into the bottle you can use filter media for "real" filters :) sponges work well.

Also K1 biomedia is just that, biological filter media. It's these plastic "rings" with multiple holes in them (google has a bunch of close up pictures if you'd like to see) which gives tons of surface area for BB growth.

3. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

ooo , would these types of filter media be better than the spongey types?

4. klogue2Valued MemberMember

I would think K1 would be better than sponge, for surface area. Just looking at the pictures, if I were to take the same size of K1 as a piece of sponge, I would think K1 has more surface area per that size. (this probably sounds as confusing as it does to me, sorry I couldn't explain better lol)
    Another good option is ceramic rings. They won't float like the K1 does in your filter, however. Ceramic rings are very porous and have tons of little gaps for surface area, maybe minuscule gaps but there's TONS of tiny gaps we can't even see.

5. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

dont worry :D! i understand everything :) Thank you for your response. But theres one thing though.
    When it comes to real normal filters, dont spongey filter media also collect some of the debris in the tank? Like i usually notice alot of gunk in them when i rinse them once in awhile.
    I got a huge packet of filter sponge media for free awhile back , maybe once it finishes, i will consider getting ceramic rings or k1. But i can pretty much assume that they cost much more than the sponge type considering its effectiveness :p

Another thing i wanted to ask, you said k1 are these kind of plastic rings right? So if its just plastic, then does that mean any object could pretty much serve as a bio media? Like say...for example..maybe cut up straws?

6. klogue2Valued MemberMember

Yes, cut up straws would work. I've seen them used before too :) Pretty much anything (aquarium safe) and solid can hold BB.

And yes, sponges are mostly for mechanical filtration from what I've noticed, but they hold quite a bit of BB too, that's why we just rinse them off and put them back.

As far as pricing, ceramic has a pretty fair price tag, like here (this is one of my favorite pet suppliers):

I'm not sure about K1, I don't know where to buy that, but maybe Google will turn something up.

You could always stuff as much of that sponge media into the bottom of the bottle filter as you can (that's where the intake is I believe) and put whatever kind of biomedia you want in the top :) That way it has both! I'm sure it will be a quite effective filter. (Although I don't know a lot about the dynamics of diy filters; I would think the only other way to improve it would be to get a strong bubbler for more gph)

7. ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

oh i see :D, maybe i will consider using straws too :)! I just visited the fish store today, I found the ceramic rings, the prices of different brands ranged from around(if i convert to usd) $3-$10. The bad is not too big but i'd say its quite a decent price :). I will definitely get them when my sponge media runs out :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice