DIY Filter leak sealing Help

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by kcarmartinez, Mar 28, 2010.

  1. kcarmartinezValued MemberMember

    So I am making a pond filter out of an old cat litter box.
    Problem is I tried to put the tubing through and seal it up with aquarium sealant but it is not working. The tubing moves too much and is easy to bump and I think that is creating bubbles and holes. Not too mention I don't think Aquarium Sealant likes plastic. The top hole now has some hose adapter pieces and a hose washer in between the box and the nut part of the adapter. I think I may go tomorrow and see if I can find a version of this for the smaller bottom hole, but I am not sure this is a possibility.
    Tonight I got some more hose washers, and some "thread seal tape." I am not sure if this is the same stuff as plummers tape like I thought. Is this or plummers tape safe to use? And is there any other suggestions to what I should do to make sure this is watertight?

    Attached Files:

  2. EgressNew MemberMember

    I would recommend installing a PVC bulkhead fitting instead of trying to seal tubing to the wall of the filter box. to view a website that shows some of the materials you'll need. You can then convert the PVC fitting to a hose barb of appropriate size and you're good to go. It's a fairly cheap way to go, the most expensive part is a hole saw at $5 or so.
  3. kcarmartinezValued MemberMember

    Where were you yesterday. ;)
    I went to Home Depot and asked for a bulkhead... the guy said, "a what?" so I tried to explain what I needed and the guy said he didn't have anything like that there. So I went to Lowes and the guy asked if he could help and I told him "probably not" and said I was looking for a bulkhead.... and he looked at me funny. :p I was in the plumming isles.
    The in tube is only 1/2". Do they make gaskets in different sizes? My FIL left his drillbits and there was a nice cone shaped one I used to cut the holes with. But I would rather not make a bigger hole than I need.
    Lastly, the female connector doesn't seem to have any threads.... How do I convert the fitting for the hose barb?
    Sorry, still having a hard time grasping what I need to do.
  4. ilikefishValued MemberMember

    Good grade epoxy and sandpaper can work magic...
  5. EgressNew MemberMember

    edit: In this application you could probably just use the two fittings shown in the photos as the bulkhead fitting, instead of using the PVC conduit couplers. You may need an extra thick gasket (depending on the thickness of the plastic tub), because these fittings use tapered threads.

    The grey PVC is electrical conduit, so you wouldn't find it in plumbing but over in electrical with the bulk wire and such. The two pieces (one male and one female) are called couplers, asking/looking for that should get you farther than using the term bulkhead. You can find these couplers down to 1/2" size.

    As for gaskets, you might not be able to find one at Lowe's. Sizes from 1" to 2" can be found by sink and faucet parts. Your silicone sealant can be used as a gasket, too. Simply apply in the position a rubber gasket would be placed, let dry and then tighten your fittings down onto it.

    Over in plumbing you can find the parts to adapt the PVC coupler to a hose barb you could fit your tubing onto. Lowe's probably won't have a fitting to go directly from PVC to hose barb, but they will have a fitting to go from PVC to pipe thread (see photo 1). Combine that with another fitting that goes from pipe thread to a hose barb (see photo 2), and you can connect your existing tubing to your bulkhead fitting.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  6. Scott HValued MemberMember

    you could use a bike tyre tube for a gasket just cut a section off then cut your hole in the middle the rite size and bingo uber cheep gasket plus you could make quite a few of them out of one tube