DIY Dechlor

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tap’s chlorine is 1mg/L so 100mg of ascorbic acid should treat 10 gallons. Is it fine to just put 100mg of powder in the tank before adding tap water back in during a water change? It should be fine especially if I do less than 50% water changes. Yes?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not really. I would recommend putting it in the water outside the tank first. It is an acid and will lower PH, so you'll want it to be buffered(naturally as it reacts with your tap water) a bit, and not at full strength in a half full tank.

OP
zack 7

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I’m using a python what would you recommend?

OP
zack 7

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When my prime runs out, I’m debating whether to use sodium thiosulfate or vitamin C to restock. A kilogram of vitamin C treats over 100,000 gallons. Save some $

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is your tank?

Can you cite anything about Vitamin C to dechlorinate? I'm curious and have never heard of that.

OP
zack 7

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

What I’m worried about with the thiosulfate is whether it will remove micronutrients I’m trying to dose with the PPS technique.

Fisheye said:
How big is your tank?

Can you cite anything about Vitamin C to dechlorinate? I'm curious and have never heard of that.
10 gallons

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fisheye said:
How big is your tank?

It works and is actually useful for treating illness and for the overall health of a fish tank, if done properly of course. I use it in blackwater setups and sodium ascorbate in clearwater tanks as it is PH neutral.
C5H5O5CH2OH + HOCL → C5H3O5CH2OH + HCl + H2O is the citation.
As you can see, the reaction still produces HCl, which is a stronger acid, but much more dilute, and is a gas so it eventually evaporates out of solution.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What about chloramines? Have you checked with your municipal water supplier to see what they add?

For a 10 gallon is the cost benefit of not using Prime really that great?

Just trying to get on board!

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
zack 7 said:
If I’m using a python what would you recommend?
Use a bucket to refill the tank? You could use sodium ascorbate, still vitamin C and doesn't lower PH.

Fisheye said:
What about chloramines? Have you checked with your municipal water supplier to see what they add?

For a 10 gallon is the cost benefit of not using Prime really that great?

Just trying to get on board!
I know you're not asking me, but it will remove chloramines as well.
In my personal opinion, i think it's better then the sulphur based compounds most commercial products use. Usually sodium thiosulfate i think.

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 10g system, maintaining pH and anything else for that matter is very difficult. Why start out with an uphill battle.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have a place where a bucket can sit full of water for a day? (I keep mine in the laundry room sink after it's full.) If your municipality doesn't use chloramine, all the chlorine will evaporate off overnight. For just a 10g tank, if you're planning on doing 50% water changes, a single 5g bucket of aged water is all you need - you don't even need to stockpile vitamin C!

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
YellowGuppy said:
Do you have a place where a bucket can sit full of water for a day? (I keep mine in the laundry room sink after it's full.) If your municipality doesn't use chloramine, all the chlorine will evaporate off overnight. For just a 10g tank, if you're planning on doing 50% water changes, a single 5g bucket of aged water is all you need - you don't even need to stockpile vitamin C!
Lol, you beat me to it. Better than DIY dechlorinator, because it’s free :D

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Attached are two papers on dechlorination agents that discuss ascorbic acid.

MrBryan723 said:
Not really. I would recommend putting it in the water outside the tank first. It is an acid and will lower PH, so you'll want it to be buffered(naturally as it reacts with your tap water) a bit, and not at full strength in a half full tank.

I think all dichlorination reactions via reduction produce HCl. See the reactions on page 523 of the Hermant paper.

zack 7 said:
When my prime runs out, I’m debating whether to use sodium thiosulfate or vitamin C to restock. A kilogram of vitamin C treats over 100,000 gallons. Save some $

Shelf life for vitamin C/sodium ascorbate/ascorbic acid seems to be short which may prevent one from buying in bulk.

Attachments

New Threads