DIY co2

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Mer-max, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Can someone please send me the link where I can find all the stuff I need? I'm about to go to the store and wanna give this a go seeing how I have the next few days off and my t5 ho's have come in. Tried searching but couldn't find it

2. plug

plug Well Known Member Member

I am not sure how to post a direct link, but if you go look under Aquarium plants which is in More freshwater aquarium topics and from there click on Plant CO2, and look at the stickys and one of them is Instructions for DIY CO2 systems

I tried it and it has worked ok so far...

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Leaving now. Getting 2 2 liters, a 20 oz, tubing, air stone , yeast and sugar. . .

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I got it up and running. Crammed cotton in the line to diffuse it but the bubbles are still pretty big. Is there supposed to be little, or no surface movement? Right now my spray bar is moving the surface but not breaking it

6. plug

The way I understand it is you can have surface movement like flow, but try to avoid the bubbling like from splashing or air stones

What I did for mine was buy a small air stone and then place it at the bottom of my thickest planted area and as the bubbles rise they hit the leaves and break down into smaller bubbles which have better chance of being absorbed by the plants and last longer in the water

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Got ya. I ordered a diffuser off amazon for a few bucks. Til then I did the small air stone with cotton

8. plug

Good luck. I am still learning this DIY as well
    My first one started last Sunday, but its now running out of steam (co2) as I know I have a leak where the hose goes in
    I am going to make another one and this time silicone the area where the tube goes in to the bottle cap

What kind of diffuser did you order?

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I drilled my holes smaller than the tube, then cut the tube at an angle and pulled it through so its air tight.

The diffuser - um I can't remember exact nano. . . Glass . . . Comes to mind. Cheap, better than an air stone

What y'all think about the ph bouncing around like it does with co2?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  10. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Just stay consistent with co2 and water changes. My ph went from 7.2 to 6.6 ish but it has stayed pretty steady since then.

11. plug

I did the same thing smaller hole than tube, but still leaks

well setup a new co2 chamber after Christmas

12. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I shoved a sharp pencil through milk cap and hot glued around air line and electric tape around cap. It's been air tight for weeks.

13. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

My bgk was acting funny so I decided to go against it. Probably do the co2 on a smaller tank.

14. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure if you've gotten answers to all your questions, but if not, follow the links in my signature. There is a thread on how to set up a DIY system and another one on the many possible yeast formulas that myself and many members have tried.

FYI - Most CO2 diffusers are intended to be used with an injected system. DIY simply cannot produce the higher pressures that the diffuser requires. The best one I ever found was to shove/stuff the end of the tubing with a wad of cotton. You mentioned trying this, but getting large bubbles. If this is the case not enough cotton was used.

15. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

The cotton with a small round air stone made the bubbles a lot smaller. According to the ph/kh method of checking, I'm at 33 ppm. I won't be able to use my checker until I find some dkh4 water and none of the stores here knew what it was and I don't have the scales to make it.

16. c

Don't use those charts! If I followed them I had over 300 PPM in my tank. Completely worthless charts.

You can make 4 dKH solution by using distilled water. Add just a grain or two baking soda to a cup of water. Stir. Test the KH. And adjust from there. Once you have 4 dKH, then you can set up your drop checker. However, don't hold much weight to what it displays. Drop checkers do not provide an immediate reading and will never pick up on changes. It takes about 3 hours for them to level out. Like AlyeskaGirl, my drop checker was always yellow; yet the fish and plants were all happy. Ended up I got rid of mine. Didn't give me anything useful.

17. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ok. Ill try making it tonight. Just add a little baking soda till it turns yellow on the 4th drop?

18. c

Yep. You want the reaction on the 4th drop.

19. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Ok thank you. You've helped a lot today.

20. c

You are welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice