Diy co2

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by hobo, Dec 7, 2012.

1. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Here is my DIY yeast recipe.

I use two 2 liter bottles of Coke or any 2 liter bottle will do , mithbusters rated these at a high tolerance for pressure ( forget what the bursting point was )so that’s what I went with , you can also use 2 liter Ocean spray cranberry juice containers I don’t particularly like cranberry juice so none of those at my place.

You need to drill a hole in the cap of the bottle so you can insert some tubing, make the hole smaller than the tubing because you want an airtight seal , I did note use co2 tubing( CO2 tubing is better ) just regular airline tubing. Insert the tube into the bottle cap about an inch or so ( I also kept the little Teflon seal that’s inside the cap and drilled through this as well) once the tube and Teflon seal is in place silicone both inside and outside the cap that contacts the tubing don’t get any silicone on the threads or on the outside grip of the cap allow to dry for 24hrs remember that silicone does not stick very well to the bottle caps so you don’t want to compromise the seal when you unscrew the bottle changing the solutions. Repeat for the second or even third 2 liter bottle.

For a bubble counter I used a 1 liter bottle and instead drill 2,3,or 4 holes in this cap depending on how many 2 liter bottles you’re going to use ,one hole is for a line going to your tank( my setup uses 2 bottles so my bubble counter has three holes 2 in on out).

Ok so your air line should run 1 inch inside the 2 liter bottle and all the way to the bottom of the one liter bottle ( the bubble counter )for the line to the tank run it I inch inside the bubble counter to the tank,. Allow silicone to dry for 24hrs.

For the solution in a separate vessel mix 2 cups sugar 2 tablespoons of molasses 1 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 cups of hot water to dissolve. Add this to the two liter bottle then top off the bottle with cold water 3 inches from the top. You want the solution to be around room temperature not cold not to hot then add 1 teaspoon yeast , any yeast will do I use grocery store yeast, then add a couple of drops of vegetable oil or olive oil to stop foaming, this mix lasts me four weeks I alternate bottles replacing solution bi-monthly

Untitled.png

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for the tips Hobo! I'm sure some members will find the information very helpful! :)

I have Edited your post creating paragraphs for easier reading.

Ken

3. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I have a question. I use a bubble wall stone. If I were to splice into the air tube which is being pumped into the bubble wall stone, would that allow a good co2 absorbtion into the water?

4. OP
    OP
    h

hobo Valued Member Member

IF you run DIY CO2 through an air stone the stone will get a thick buildup of sugar coating the outside of the stone. It’s not a problem but it will have to be wiped off every couple of weeks.
    Here is a link to the diffuser I use , it’s ok some people might not like the noise. Instead of running the tube in directly I put an air stone on the end of the tube and placed that inside the Elite it makes smaller bubbles which are then passed through the impeller and chewed up further its a little quieter and smaller bubbles ( got mine at PETVALU )

[video=youtube_share;liuXWQcJCcU]http://youtu.be/liuXWQcJCcU[/video]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. w

wolverined Valued Member Member

very cool idea hobo. is the noise much noisier than a hob filter?

6. Jonez

Jonez Well Known Member Member

Im using your yeast recipe, and its working great! I read something about using gelatinous sugar (lasts longer). Have you experimented with this idea before?

Im using a 170gph powerhead ($20 walmart special) to break up my co2 mixture -- seems to be working absolutely amazing. No noise to speak of and Im getting almost 100% dissolve rate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice