DIY CO2 Question

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by ilikefish, Mar 20, 2010.

1. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

I noticed that diy CO2 mixtures don't require too much sugar or yeast but almost fill a 2 litter with water... is the water important?

Basically I'm asking if i could use a 20oz bottle with the same success but less water; because its far lower profile with a small bottle...

If I can't do that what purpose does the water serve just for my knowledge.

Thanks

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I prefer to use larger volumes of water, (within reason), as it takes longer for the alcohol that forms in the mixture to reach levels where it kills off the yeast. The smaller the volume of water the faster the levels of alcohol reach levels that are lethal to the yeast.
    I use 2cups of sugar & 1/2tsp of bakers yeast in 4lt of water, in 5lt generators. My mix lasts 4-8 weeks depending on the temperature. (the higher the temp the faster the reaction takes place)

3. OP
    OP
    i

thank you.

Do you think that setup puts out enough CO2 (assuming proper dispersion) for HC in a 10g?

So you use the twin generators for consistency correct?

If I used 2 2litter generators how can I adjust the solution for more or less concentration of CO2? I would eventually like to add fish and I know too much CO2 will hurt/kill the fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  4. Nutter

I sure hope so. I use twin 5lt generators myself but your 2lt ones should be producing co2 at much the same rate if the yeast mix is the same. My twin generators are on a 63gal so i sure hope 2 generators is enough on a 10gal.

5. OP
    OP
    i

I plan on eventually adding fish to the CO2 injected tank and I was wondering how to adjust how much CO2 I make in order to control the PH better. I believe its less yeast... but is is less yeast or more sugar or both? Thanks.

6. Nutter

Less yeast is one way to control it though it's a bit hit & miss IMO. The less yeast the slower the reaction is supposed to take place. Personally I think there is more control from either changing the type of diffuser so that not as much co2 dissolves into the water or by adjusting the filter nozzle to control the amount of surface movement. The more surface movement the faster the co2 dissolves back into the atmosphere.

7. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

In addition to what Nutter said, you can also add an air stone and then adjust the amount of air that's going into the water by adjusting a valve along the tubing. This would have the same effect as what Nutter said about adjusting the filter nozzle.

8. Nutter

I was going to mention that but I've only just started experimenting with the technique myself so I didn't want to advise on doing it. I have found that you need a pretty large airstone to get a reasonable difference from the air flow adjustments.

I think it is a good idea & should work pretty well but as I said I just don't have the experience with this particular technique yet to advise how well it works or the best way to do it.

9. funkman262

The only reason I mentioned it was because for someone like me who has an HOB filter and can't adjust the filter nozzle, it's the only option. I have no experience with it yet but I figured it could work. If I end up needing to do this, I'll mention my results in one of my threads ;)

10. OP
    OP
    i

Ok hypothetically now... If I put an adjustment valve in the airline and an air stone... When I turn the air down wouldn't the pressure simply build up and then come out even faster making no noticeable difference? This is just me and my logic....

11. funkman262

I understand your logic but it's not correct because a certain pressure will be maintained in the tubing. I think the excess pressure is released through through the base. You can completely close the valve if you wanted (but I think it would eventually cause damage to the pump).

12. OP
    OP
    i

damage to the pump? Im not sure what you mean by pump. Do you mean reactor? lol... And I see... geez, there goes my logic letting me down again...

13. Nutter

Damage to the air pump. You could always use a 2 way gang valve to control the flow from an air pump. One line goes to an air stone in the tank the other outlet on the gang valve could just be a relief valve.

14. funkman262

Ah, once again I look right past an easy solution lol. Thanks for that Nutter ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice