DIY Co2 Question

Naved16

Reaction score
I made a simple DIY sugar yeast CO2 generator for my 5 gallon planted tank using just a single 500ml bottle as a generator and another for bubble counter, I'm using an airstone as a diffuser which was working perfectly when tested in a glass cup.

When I put the airstone in the tank it's working fine and bubbling upto 6 inches or so but when I put it any deeper than that lets just say upto the very bottom it stops bubbling. Is the CO2 still being defused or is the pressure building up inside the bottle.

I'm relatively new to this hobby and I have very limited options due to the lockdown.

TheMysticWizard

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DIY CO2 using yeast doesn't produce large amounts of CO2 quickly, though once it's get going it will product CO2 steadily for a 10-14 days.

It is pressurizing the bottle, if you leave it deeper in the tank it will start to bubble after a while, granted you have no leaks. It takes pressure to push a gas down the tube in the water, the deeper the airstone is, the more pressure is required. The yeast will build up CO2 pressure after a few hours.

New Threads