DIY co2 problem

chunkdaddy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Guys,
I've got 2 2 liter bottles setup with DIY Co2 in my 29 gallon tank. I've got the hose running into the intake tubes of my 2 filters, 1 hose per filter. I can see bubbles coming out of the hose from the bottle I just refilled last night. I don't see bubbles from the one I filled last week. I put in 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, mixing them individually b/4 putting them in the bottle. Why would one work and not the other? The yeast came from the same supply for both.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It sounds like the one that's not working has a leak. You could try holding the bottle and tube under water to check for escaping bubbles. It's easy to jar something while refilling and cause a slight leak.

pepetj

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It may be that some bacteria colonized one bottle and not the other. Yeast is both hardy and delicate at the same time. It survives in somewhat hostile environment (pH, temp wise) but won't outcompete most bacteria strains.

I solved this same problem by sterilizing everything each time I changed the mix. I use temperature shocks to achieve sterilization: I used hot water to wash everything then dumped in a bucket with ice-cold water.

Sidenote: I wouldn't place the CO2 before the filter impellers since CO2 might harm them. I would place a "Chinese food stick" in the hose and just place it inside the tank. Or you could use a small submersible pump as reactor.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both of the above suggestions are valid & worthy of investigation. The leak is the more likely of the two but check out both options. Check that the yeast hasn't spoiled by getting moisture inside it either.

The co2 into the filter works really well. It's a complete myth that it will cause wear on the impellor. I've been doing it for years with all kinds of filters & never had to replace an impellor yet.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The only thing I can add to the above is that the water may have been too warm when adding the yeast. Yeast can survive over a year in the freezer, but will die very quickly in hot water.

OP
C

chunkdaddy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Guys,

I got a new check valve today and installed it. I'm starting to see bubbles from the tube now. The check valve that was installed was a diferent brand from Mejier's. I usually get mine at Petsmart or Walmart.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. I noticed mine has a tiny leak where I punched the tubing through the bottle cap. Gonna have to add something to plug it up.

Good luck!

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chunkdaddy said:
Hey Guys,

I got a new check valve today and installed it. I'm starting to see bubbles from the tube now. The check valve that was installed was a diferent brand from Mejier's. I usually get mine at Petsmart or Walmart.
I'm sorry I didn't think to suggest checking the check valve. I've had them clog several times before. They need to be replaced every so often.

catsma_97504 said:
Glad you figured it out. I noticed mine has a tiny leak where I punched the tubing through the bottle cap. Gonna have to add something to plug it up.

Good luck!
You can seal it with silicone. Just make sure you do it while the caps off the bottle or you'll just be blowing silicone bubbles. Not that I would know that from personal experience or anything

New Threads