DIY CO2 Pressure

fishpicklepaste

Reaction score
Does a soda bottle being used for yeast/sugar CO2 run a high risk of exploding as long as it stays open 1-2 bps? I just set a bottle up around 7 hours ago and the pressure has really built up in there. I kind of got worried about it and opened the valve to let it all out and there was a very, very gush of gas that came out. I just read that diy co2 should not have a valve on it to control the bps rate because the bottle may explode due to built up pressure.

How worried should I be worried about the bottle exploding?

Thanks!

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, even if it did explode it’s just yeast and sugar water. It’ll probably smell putrid, and be loud, but it’s not dangerous at all. I don’t know why you put a valve on it, though. I made one back when I was a teen in a 2 liter and just ran it at whatever the bubble rate was because depending on how active the yeast was, sometimes it was a lot, sometimes a little, and as the yeast eat all the sugar the bubble amount will go down. It never hurt my fish even when it was creating a bunch, but diy co2 is risky regardless of whether you think the bottle will explode or not cause you can’t truly regulate how much co2 is going in your tank. It’s kind of like playing Russian Roulette.

OP
F

fishpicklepaste

Reaction score
emilydupree17 said:
Well, even if it did explode it’s just yeast and sugar water. It’ll probably smell putrid, and be loud, but it’s not dangerous at all. I don’t know why you put a valve on it, though. I made one back when I was a teen in a 2 liter and just ran it at whatever the bubble rate was because depending on how active the yeast was, sometimes it was a lot, sometimes a little, and as the yeast eat all the sugar the bubble amount will go down. It never hurt my fish even when it was creating a bunch, but diy co2 is risky regardless of whether you think the bottle will explode or not cause you can’t truly regulate how much co2 is going in your tank. It’s kind of like playing Russian Roulette.
This first mixture I made with 1 tbsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. I'll try 0.75 tbsp of yeast with 1.5 cups of sugar next to see where that takes me.

Would having 2 bottles of yeast stabilize the CO2 some more? My plan in beginning was to have 2 bottles of yeast but a week a part. When I add this bottle I'll work in some way for me to release excess pressure from the bottles so whenever I go to feel them, I can release if necessary without having to unhook other things.

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishpicklepaste said:
This first mixture I made with 1 tbsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. I'll try 0.75 tbsp of yeast with 1.5 cups of sugar next to see where that takes me.

Would having 2 bottles of yeast stabilize the CO2 some more? My plan in beginning was to have 2 bottles of yeast but a week a part. When I add this bottle I'll work in some way for me to release excess pressure from the bottles so whenever I go to feel them, I can release if necessary without having to unhook other things.
Whenever mine would produce too much I’d just cut back how much sugar I was feeding them. I always used one packet of yeast in a half-filled 2 liter of lukewarm water, and about a cup or so of sugar, nothing fancy. Then I just swirled that around and it was pretty steady, but like I said, using the yeast method is hit or miss. I always ran extra air stones to make sure I didn’t harm my fish because one day your diy co2 can barely produce, and the next day it’s like the yeast woke up and went crazy. Not something I’d personally try again. I’d just rather do the pressurized co2 so I can control it.

New Threads