DIY co2 not producing anything

1. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

I made it about 3 hours ago and i'm not getting a single bubble in my bubble counter.
    How long should this take?
    It looked like it was rising in the bottle but now it's all settled down again.
    That DIY thread is all over the place and dude forgot to say how much water so idk what's up but nothing is happening.
    Instead of using a 2 liter I'm using 2 1 liters that way I can keep changing one of them out and it will always stay constant.
    I put 1/2 tsp of yeast and 1/2 a cup of sugar and 1/2 a tsp of baking soda.

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I have 2, 2L bottles filled 2/3 of the way with warm water (not hot!). I add 2cups of sugar, 1/4tsp of yeast and 1/4tsp of baking soda. Takes a few hours to get going but they last over 2 weeks (I alternate bottles as well)

3. escapay Well Known Member Member

I remember it taking several hours before bubbles started to come consistently, but it has been about a year since I've done DIY CO2.

For the water amount, my 2 liter bottles were filled to the top line before the bottle starts to make the curve of the neck. Top of the label, if it was still there - if that makes the description better to follow.

4. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

oh ok then I should give it more time then

5. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

I think the yeast might be bad. Got a small packet 3 for $1
    Did the proof test no temp change and it's not bubbling up
    What a waste of time.

6. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

So I've got it all set up and it was bubbling there for a bit and i've checked everywhere there is no leaks. It just bubbles then stops.
    So I put some air flow valves on them then blew into it creating pressure and then closed it off and attached it back to the system and opened the valved and I saw a ton of bubbles then it was a steady bubble every few seconds and then it just died off and no more bubbles are being produced.

Is there anyone who can stick through this with me cause I really don't have hours to wait for replies I need to get this up and going asap cause my plants are turning :/

7. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

just now I shut off the valves and let pressure build up in the bottles then I opened them up and I got bubbles and I could even see the bubbles in the tank then it just eventually died again

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I've done DIY... now I'm to lazy and just buy the fluval stuff. If I had a bigger tank, I'd probably use the CO2 tank from a paintball gun.

9. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

I went out riding on my Trek and decided to pay no mind to it and went exploring in the woods and buming free glass off people. I found a few glass sources :D
    Now I can work on my end table vivarium here soon..
    Also got someone wanting me to make him some vivariums and I like to freecycle stuff and but things sitting around back in good use.
    Anyways....
    It's working now and all is good it's popping out a bubble ever few seconds.
    I was just frustrated and needed to get out and take a breather now all is well :)

10. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

it's like creating 1 bubble every second so 60 bubbles per minute

11. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds about right. It takes a while to start generating, as you've noticed.

12. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

Yeah lol
    Would it help or hurt to stick my diffuser right next to the intake of my canister filter so it will kinda be like a reactor mixing the Co2 into the water

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I've always just stuck the end of the co2 line right into the intake of the canister. It'll definitely help with diffusion if you put the diffuser beneath the intake.

14. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

cool beans man I just hope I got this all set up right. The drop checker is finally reading green but the 4dHK was DIY and I used an HK kit so I know it's at 4dHK and I'm using the pH solution out of an API kit.
    I just hope the plats are using it up good I don't wanna suffocate my fish :eek:
    I'm a worrier :rolleyes:
    I've got a Hydor H20 Show unit in there so at night it kicks on making bubbles without the hum of an air pump and it sure does create a lot of them.
    Does having the CO2 mess with the readings on test strips?

15. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

Wow about had an issue. I forgot I actually shut one of the 2 tanks off yesterday so really the system has been only running on just the one tank so I felt the one tank/bottle and it was hard as a rock yet no lines popped off or anything so at least I know my system is leak proof and pretty sound I opened it back up and it released a mass amount of co2 I had to open the cap and release a lot of the pressure.
    Shew that was a close one xD

16. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Test strips can be pretty inaccurate on their own. The only test it should affect, though, is the pH.

If you are getting 1bps then I wouldn't worry too much about gassing the fish even if you manage to diffuse the co2 completely. Normally it takes quite a bit more, but you can just keep an eye on the fish and watch for any gasping or erratic behavior.

17. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

idk man the indicator is in the yellow it has been green all day and now it's yellow. I even have the bubbler running. I disconnected on of the bottles and even with the valve barely open on the one it's still doing like almost 2 bps now.
    That one I put more than I did in the other so I'm gonna use the one that has less yeast for now.
    I've been gone for a long time today and who knows how long it's been yellow.
    Maybe my plants aren't taking all the co2 I know they aren't doing so well, well at least the giant micro sword isn't.
    I just picked up a nice anubias to put in there.
    Won't algae on the leaves affect the photosynthesis?

18. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Yes algae on the leaves can block the leaves from getting light.

Did you make the water for the 4dkh reference solution yourself?

19. dragonspirit1185 Member Member

yeah I did and I tested it with an HK kit
    I have had the co2 disconnected for liek 2 hours now with the hydor ario system running creating like 2 time the amount an air stone would and there is no change on the indicator

20. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Do you mean a KH kit? I was just curious because a lot of people just go by the directions on the drop checker and end up using tank water or whatever for their reference solution.

It could be the kind of drop checker you are using, but normally the color should change within an hour or two.