Diy Co2 Kit Setup Please Help

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of running a DIY co2 kit on my 10g planted tank, and the only piece I am missing is the carbonated beverage bottle (lol the easiest one to find) because I don’t drink soda. Could I use another size bottle (like 1 gallon milk jugs) for this or would it not work the same? Thanks!

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Go to the dollar store and buy a bottle. You need a soda bottle because it can hold carbonation.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The lid on a milk bottle would probably pop off with all the pressure but it doesnt have to be a soda bottle i used 1.5ĺ water bottles without any problems. I think amythin with those tight little screw on lids amd harder plastic bottles will be ok.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm in the same boat whenever I set up DIY CO2, I just go to walmart and get a 2 liter coke, dump it, and use the bottle. Soda bottles are safest because they are designed to hold a large amount of CO2 and have a large pressure exerted on them from the inside.

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
I want to set up a diy co2 system for my planted 10g, and wanted to share it on FishLore so I could get help if I needed it. So far, I know I need the following materials (Amazon links because that's where I am gonna buy them)

-DIY co2 cap system:

-co2 diffuser with check valve

-Fluval bubble counter

What else do I need? I already have the bottles, citric acid, and baking soda.
Also, what should my bps be? It is a low light tank with the following plants:
Anubias barteri, ludwigia repens, rotala rotundifolia, Java fern, Dwarf sagittaria, bacopa monnieri, staurogyne repens, cryptocoryne wendtii, Bucephalandra (Brownie Blue, Black Pearl, Red Blade

I dose Flourish twice a week.

How long should I run the co2 for?
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks, Alex.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your missing co2 proof tubing. most regular air tubing leaks. Lastly, your missing a a co2 checker. this is a raindrop glass instrument that measures the co2 content in the water. This is necesary because bps is extremly inaccurate. this is because it depends on how big the aquarium is, water disturbance, aquarium chemistry, types and how many plants. You should also only run the co2 for whatever the lights are on for. In general, this is about 8 hours even if you have a siesta period in the middle.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with dutch above except with diy i would run it 24hrs to try and keep the co2 levels stable.

Alex6455

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks! The DIY set comes with co2 tubing, but I will make sure to get a checker. If I run it 24/7, would I have to set up an air stone to counteract all the co2 in the water as to prevent co poisoning? Also, if you say BPS is inaccurate, should I just not get one at all? Thanks, Alex

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom