diy co2 is it working

1. kribensis keeper Member Member

i made a diy co2 today but i had been an hour and a bit and there was no bubbles also the was a froth forming at the top and when i opened the bottle it smelt like bread is this meant to happen( the froth and the smell of bread)

my recipe was 1.25liter bottle
    1/3 cup of sugar
    1teaspoon and a bit of dried yeast
    5 cupps of water
    please help also i through it away because i did not know if it was write it was also attached to a diffuser made out of a small plastic bottle and a piece of schouring sponge

2. Weedcali Initiate Member

got any pics of it?

3. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The basics are the more sugar you add, the more fuel there is for the yeast & the longer your mix will last. The more yeast you add the faster the reaction rate but the shorter the life of the mixture. Adding Bicarb can be helpful in keeping the PH up a little bit as the yeast will die off if the PH gets too low. I use the same mix that Goldwing mentioned except I use 5lt bottles with 4lt of water in them. My mix usually lasts for 4-8 weeks depending on the temperature. The ratio of yeast to sugar & just how warm it is will determine how long it takes for the mixture to start producing bubbles. Usually it will take between 2-8hrs depending on what mix you use. The froth at the top is normal & it is a good idea to have a sump to catch any rubbish that may get pushed through the co2 line. A small soda bottle will do as a sump. co2 line in & another one out. Any garbage will collect in the small bottle. The bread smell is normal as well. Don't worry by the time the mixture is done it will smell like a bad bottle of cheap bourbon. I use a two bottle rig & make my bottles up on an alternating basis. Just for example, you would replace one bottle on week & then do the other bottle the next week. This will help keep co2 levels more stable & help avoid potential BBA problems. Replace your mixture before it completley dies. For a diffuser I have used PVC inline diffusers on canister filters & I have also used gravel vaccuums with the reverse flow thingy removed. Adding a few bioballs into the diffuser will help break the bubbles up as will a piece of coarse filter sponge. You can also just feed your co2 line into the filter pickup if it is a canister filter though some filters will suffer from airlocks when doing this so you need to monitor the system carefull for the first few times you do it to make sure that there are no problems there & that you don't burn your impellor out. You can also shove the co2 line into the side of an internal filter & let the co2 be broken up by the impellor as it passes through. Don't do this with HOB filters as most of the co2 will be dispelled by the water falling back into the aquariu,. I hope that helps you along your way.

5. kribensis keeper Member Member

so how do you make the sump if you know how to make one for the co2 can you please tell me and if so post some picture along with it

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

This is my DIY co2 rig in use. The arrows indicate the direction of co2 travel through the system. The 600ml bottle is the sump. Out of the 3 lines coming from the top of the sump bottle, one delivers co2 from the rig to the tank, the other two come from the 5lt yeast mix bottles. The two lines which the co2 comes into the sump through, are located lower down into the sump bottle than the co2 to tank line. This will ensure that any rubbish getting pushed through the lines does not find it's way into the line going to the tank. I place a check valve on the line between the sump & the diffuser/filter pickup, so that I can empty the sump out without losing line pressure or having to deal with back siphoning. I also have a check valve between each of the yeast mix bottles & the sump so that I can make up a new mix without losing pressure through the whole system & so that co2 continues to be produced while the new mix starts working or indeed even if I take one bottle away altogether. To make the sump just make the holes in the lid the same way you would for the yeast mixture bottle but put more of them in. You can seal it with hot glue or silicone if you like but if you make the holes right you won't need to use anything to seal it up. I hope it's clear enough for you to get the idea & that it helps you out. If you need any other help designing this or have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask or you can PM me with your questions.

Attached Files:

7. kribensis keeper Member Member

thank you